Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

From bad to worse

djhicks
djhicks Member Posts: 11
5 Care Reactions First Comment

It has been a challenge navigating my DW dementia, AFib, and related health issues. Recently, I have been looking into the possibility of moving her to MC. She doesn't like doctors and wasn't feeling well for a week or so. Finally, I was able to convince her to go to see a doctor. So, Sunday night before Memorial Day, we went to the ER. Her heart was racing, 170 bpm. They moved her to the ICU and managed to get the rate down, but her BP was low. They got her stable around 6:30 AM and she nodded off so I went home to rest myself. I woke up around 12:00 PM and received a call from the doctor informing me that she had gone into cardiac arrest and had to be revived. When we got back to the hospital, she was sedated and intubated. They airlifted her to a local heart hospital where they put her on ECMO to give her heart a rest. It's been a little over a week now. She's off the ECMO but still has a ventilator to help her breath. She started showing signs of responsiveness after they removed the sedatives, but only small signs. This has been a very hard couple of weeks and we now have an even longer road ahead.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry you are going through this. You have difficult decisions to make. Know that we are thinking and praying for you both

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

so so sorry to hear this. Her prognosis is grim I’m sure. I hope there is a palliative care team there who can help you, particularly if you are looking at withdrawing advanced life support. Does she have a living will or did she ever discuss this with you? Please let us know how it goes.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I am so sorry this happened to your DW. Did she have an advanced directive? How advanced was her dementia prior to the cardiac arrest? How long has she been off sedatives and narcotics? It sounds like she may have had an hypoxic-ischemic injury to her brain from the cardiac arrest. Has the medical team discussed withdrawing life support?

• djhicks

Thanks. No living will. Never discussed anything definatively.

• djhicks

She was diagnosed with VD. She has significant memory imparement, but still ambulatory. Only off sedatives a couple of days, but had another procedure that required sedation. So, back to the starting line for that. Still waiting to see how she recovers from the sedative for a proper neurological assessment.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thanks for the update. I am sorry to say this but she is obviously at high risk for a bad neurological outcome.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I don’t really have words, except to say I’m sorry you are going through this. I hope you are not alone and have a support system of some kind. I will be thinking of you.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((@djhicks))) hugs

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

So sorry to read of all the health challenges your DW is facing, I will keep you both in my prayers.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I can hardly imagine what you and she must be going through right now. Do you have someone with you, or can you reach out to someone who is there for support? You shouldn’t have to go through this alone. We are all here for you, but someone right there in person would be good.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more