Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Voice

In the last six months my DW (possible stage 4) has begun to often speak in a voice that is too low for me to hear when we converse. I went and got my ears checked by the way and I am fine.😆 Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 8

Yes. My mom does this. I have to tell her to speak up. It’s as if she’s not really sure she should even be saying the words. So she’s talking ‘under her breath’.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@brooklynborn123

I have experienced this with both my parents.

With dad, who had mixed dementia, this was something we saw in late stage 6 and beyond. He remained oddly conversational until the end-of-life; the soft voice was new and seemed to betray weariness and fatigue.

My mom also does this. She does not have dementia— she developed what seemed to be a sudden onset of significant hearing loss. Instead of getting loud, as many do, she becomes a low-talker. Initially I thought I was losing my hearing until DH and DS confirmed the same. This improved greatly with hearing aids. I can tell immediately when she isn't using them for some reason.

HB

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Yes, this happened with my sister, although it began much later, I'd say right around mid-stage 6. There were many times where I could barely hear her. Funny, I also got my hearing checked, and, like you, my hearing is just fine. 😄

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions
    edited June 8

My husband has been whispering for over a year and a half. Very occasionally he will speak one or two words in a regular voice, but it is rare. He also doesn’t speak very much or many words at a time. He is late stage 6, maybe moving into 7. The whispering started in late stage 5 or early 6. He seems to be able to hear well.

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 53
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This is happening with my HWA too. Started when he was stage 4 I would guess. He is now late stage 5 and moving to 6 and besides speaking in a very soft voice, it now doesn't make any sense! This is one of my biggest frustrations. I cannot understand him and he tries so hard…

• JudyVE
    JudyVE Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment

yes, my DH speaks so softly I can barely hear him. This started gradually. He speaks very little anymore as it is. It’s not your hearing.

• Gthoma
    Gthoma Member Posts: 33
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes. This happens with my wife. We’re in one of those “spells” this evening. It’s difficult enough to understand the word confusion, noun substitution etc. I have to try to figure out what she SAID and then try to figure out what she MEANT.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes. Ditto to most of the comments above. And Gthoma, your last sentence — isn’t that the truth!

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is in late stage 5 and has been doing the low speaking with garbled words for about 6 months.

• brooklynborn123
    brooklynborn123 Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

thanks everyone. Sounds like most of you experienced this at a later stage. Frankly, I really don’t know how to stage the dementia, other than to compare what I observe with what I see on the staging charts. Seems super-imprecise to me, like everything else with this condition.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Yes. Thought I was losing my hearing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia