Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

His words - so true.

ButterflyWings
ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

DH is silent most of the time now. He sleeps a lot too, but lightly. Catnapping around the clock here in early Stage 7. At any time I may realize he isn’t fully asleep, but eyes are closed.

He may open his eyes, semi-smile and make clear eye contact. He may or may not say anything - well at least not in words. I sit next to him working on my laptop, or holding his hand. Often he will seem to be asleep but as I start to move my hand to type or shift position he will sometimes squeeze my fingers tightly in a clear silent message: “Stay”. “Don’t go”. It is sweet. And bittersweet. I compose lots of my long posts with 1 hand lol, hence typos that I have to go back and edit to correct 🙂

Some days he tries to use his words and it seems hit or miss if he will form a complete sentence or just trail off after 3 or 4 words that I can’t decipher or guess what he was trying to express.

Then he will come out with something that almost sounds like the old DH maybe due to its clarity or his dry wit. We don’t really have “normal” conversations anymore due to his agnosia except for the occasional 1 short sentence from each of us on a good day. I’ll take it.

Yesterday he came out with a couple of things that really got me. The first was out of nowhere - he says “We do the best we can”: Clear as day. I don’t know what prompted it, but his timing was perfect. It was eerie really, I wondered if he can read my mind? I told him he was absolutely right. And brilliant. As always. (He used to have a remarkable mind).

Then a while later he was dozing as I sat beside him. Then with eyes closed said “I won’t make it much longer”. I almost got whiplash shifting my focus to his face trying to determine if he meant what I heard in the way that it sounded. I really don’t think he meant that he is very close to the end of this journey, but he may have. He would not be wrong. He looks different now. I frequently stare at his chest to see if he is still breathing. His words got to me. Both times his short statements were so true.

Comments

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Hugs and prayers BW, hugs and prayers ❤️

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Same. These are the moments you'll remember. With you in spirit.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

It sounds so much like my DW’s condition not that long ago. I hope this peaceful state and good memories continues for you. Best wishes to you.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m not there yet, but what a poignant post. Best wishes to you.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I'm going through the same thing. I know exactly how you feel. A few weeks ago my DH in Memory Care got tears in his eyes and said to me "we'll get through this" It broke my heart. He doesn't even know what "this" is. I have cancer and had to place him in Memory Care 6 months ago. He is highly medicated due to anxiety and agitation and no longer communicates much. Today he said "I love you" — I'll take it.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

I could have written much of this, especially the part about sitting next to him holding his hand and having him squeeze my hand tightly if I change position, like he’s saying to “Stay!” Or “Don’t go!” I too, often type with one hand and hold his with the other.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Thinking of all of you and your LOs today - thanks for your thoughtful replies. I know we all are in this together.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more