Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Today is our wedding anniversary

White Crane
White Crane Member Posts: 849
Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Today is our 57th wedding anniversary. Such good memories/ such sad ones too. The saddest was the day back in January when the doctor told me I could no longer take care of him at home. He needed too much care. It felt like my heart was being ripped out. The grief was overwhelming. Thank God for the good memories. Our wedding day. The birth of our children. Camping trips and cook outs. Buying our first home and raising our family. Close times of cuddling on the sofa and watching a movie together. Traveling and exploring new places. The birth of our grandchildren. Worshiping together on Sunday mornings. And so many more. Today I am trying to concentrate on those good memories and when I see him today I will have a smile on my face. Inside I may be sad but I will try not to let it show. When I visited him a few days ago he told me he loved me while looking me right in the eyes. I know he does. And I love him and long for his hugs and kisses. It's a loving day…it's a lonely day.

Brenda

Comments

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Oh, Brenda, I'm so sorry for how tough this has to be for you. It's like some of those memories die when there's no one around who remembers them with you. I applaud your effort to preserve them, may this effort bless you and bring you some peace.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda, Cherish those memories. I know it will be a difficult day but be proud & happy that your love has endured the test of time.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending you warm wishes and strength. Your love for your husband shines bright.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

It does indeed. What an achievement…and what good fortune. Happy anniversary. Lives well lived….

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Happy Anniversary. Cherish those memories always. They can help get us through those very hard times.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I too am trying to focus on the positives but I feel the sadness in the pit of my stomach. I visited my DH yesterday. He has been in Memory Care 6 months. They had to medicate him due to his agitation. He woke up to eat but wasn't talking much. Then he said "I Love You" and smiled. I'll take it. His birthday is next week. He may not wake up when we visit. It's heartbreaking.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Happy Anniversary, Brenda. So many memories from all of those years. Your love shines through. You will always have that.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Anniversary. May the precious memories bring you comfort.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Happy anniversary, Brenda. Many moments in the dementia journey are bitter sweet. I am glad that you two had so many years together. Hang on to the joyful memories of worshiping and sharing the many blessings of life together.

Tom

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like you've shared a wonderful life! It's a blessing. May the sweet memories keep you strong.

• brs
    brs Member Posts: 34
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I'm very sorry but congratulations on your long marriage, sounds very loving.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Anniversary Brenda!! 57 years is amazing. You surely do have a ton of memories to reminisce about. I’m so sorry for the sadness that mingles in with your precious moments shared. What a wonderful life and example you set. 💐

• PKidd
    PKidd Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Brenda, I think you are amazing! I love it that he looked right in your eyes and said he loves you. That means so much. I get on here and read people's stories and I picture what they look like and I have a vision in my mind of him saying that to you. It's beautiful! You inspire me to keep my chin up because most of the time I'm so sad I can hardly breathe. Big big hugs to you 🥰

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Your Anniversary is a wonderful time to look back on the life you built together. Hugs to you as you cherish the memories.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Thank you all so much for your kind words and well wishes…and your understanding. Yesterday turned out to be a surprisingly lovely day. When I got to the MC facility, the administrator greeted me with a "Happy Anniversary" and a big grin. After I had been with DH a few minutes…Oh, I had brought him a strawberry milk shake so he was happy…the administrator, activities director, and several other staff walked in smiling and carrying a beautiful flower arrangement! They were followed by one of the kitchen staff carrying a very large chocolate cake! They all gathered around us and wished us a Happy Anniversary! That was followed by hugs and picture taking and big pieces of chocolate cake all around! I was in tears by that time. DH was all smiles and hugging everyone. He wasn't quite sure what was going on but he was really enjoying being the center of attention! After we finished our cake, we held hands and he kept asking what we were celebrating. Then he felt sad that he hadn't gotten me a present. I had worn a necklace and earrings that he gave me and showed them to him and told him that he had given them to me. That brought a big smile. We talked and played cards and held hands for a long time. When I finally left, he told me he loved me and kissed me goodbye. Later, the kids called and a granddaughter texted. By evening, I was tired but the sadness was gone and I felt very blessed. Thank you again dear forum friends.

Brenda

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@White Crane I am so glad for such a wonderful celebration of your long and precious love!

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda,

Happy Anniversary, albeit bittersweet. How thoughtful of the MCF remembering and celebrating this day; it must be a special and caring place. I am reminded of a Valentine’s dinner at DH’s MCF, planned and carried out by staff. Tables for two, flowers and candlelight, and the activities director sat with DH and me and fed DH so I could enjoy a meal with him- - she was a gem!
    Saturday would have been our 56th anniversary; I still struggle to remember DH when he was young and strong and whole. It’s getting better. ❤️ Enjoy your days with DH.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Brenda, sounds like an awesome day! Congratulations!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more