Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

This too shall pass

Last weekend with my BF (44 eeoa) was AMAZING!!! I would pay to have all of our weekends like that. This last weekend wasn't horrible but he just seemed more withdrawn. This morning he woke up confused and kept saying "I don't know what's going on". I was talking to his Dr about his medication and he was still waking up. Mornings are now confusing. I have to help him find the bathroom. This has been going on for maybe 2 or 3 weeks. I called his mom and said I had to being him over. She even agreed with me that he is not himself. The while way he was crying. I started at one point. This is hard!!! Why him?? Why anybody?? If we can make electric cars and are so high tech with so much stuff Why can't there be something for this.

Given all we have been through today I feel so defeated.

We are all in this together 💜

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 352
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

With a sudden drastic change in behavior, I would have him tested for a silent UTI. Often the only symptoms are seemingly sudden cognitive decline and loss of skills. My DH has ALZ and an indwelling urinary catheter and has had a number of UTIs with only these symptoms.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I don't know if your BF has an official diagnosis of the type of dementia from which he's suffering, but it's heartbreaking regardless. On this roller coaster ride, we just learn to adapt to sudden dips and rises, all the while kicking and screaming, risk falling off the ride while it's moving. It isn't easy and will get harder until acceptance happens. Just take it one day at a time, one day at a time. (and yes, I've had my share of cursing at the forces that created this disease…)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more