Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New Drug - not approved as yet

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This is the Eli Lilly amyloid drug that will be the third one approved after Aduhelm and Leqembi. Similar profile. Three deaths in the treatment arm from brain bleeds. Not clear to me that it will have any advantages over the others and the chances of getting head to head comparisons are not high....

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,402
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 11

I’m wary of medications that are supposed to help the brain, but have brain bleeds as a side affect. Seems rather counter productive to me

Editted to add: I read the article in my local paper. It’s helped slow progression by 29%. However 24% had brain swelling and 31% had brain bleeding. Again, taking it seems counter productive to me. The last thing a dementia patient needs is brain swelling and bleeding. Especially since we really have no way of knowing if an individual’s progression is really being slowed. We know our LOs can seem worse one day and better the next. So testing their progression is highly inaccurate on any given day.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I think it is becoming clear that targeting amyloid deposition does not produce meaningful improvement in outcomes.

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Yep, it's been clear for years that targeting amyloid goes nowhere and this will be another dud of a drug.

There is nothing in the pipeline for this family of diseases. The same thinking that was going on when my mom was diagnosed in 2007 is being used to develop "new" drugs. A goose egg is the result.

• frankay
    frankay Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Slows progression by 29% - What in the world does that even mean. We, who have dealt with this disease on a daily basis for many years know that our LO can be on an even keel for weeks or months; then fall off the cliff and change overnight for who knows what reason. My DH was in 2 drug trials early on and I think their testing and retesting is somewhat subjective and depends on the time of day, what mood the person is in and in some cases anecdotal.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more