Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I feel like I’m in another country and don’t understand the language

Today my DH had a follow up Dr appt for his last ER visit. He told the doctor he didn’t remember being in ER and feels his memory is getting worse. After the visit, driving home, he seemed worn out. He turns to me and says “I think I have it” and I asked what does he think he has and he says I have “it.” It is what his mother had, two brothers, a grandfather and three aunts. I said whatever you have we are in it together. That’s when he said “it’s like being in another country and not understanding the language.” Such an apt description. He said the world is a confusing place and he doesn’t understand it. Such a sad and scary place to be.
For me, feel stressed most days, balancing every aspect of our life, but at the same time, thankful I am younger than he is (67 to his 80) since I have more strength and energy. The emotional toll for me is a bit overwhelming some days as we all know. Missing my children, grandchildren, family and friends.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m right there with you, and I think it’s part of the price we younger spouses have to know is on the table, always (our age difference is 15 years). That is a very apt description, and it’s heartbreaking. My partner doesn’t remember her recent fall and ER visit either. She didn’t remember it even the day after.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

One of the more difficult issues for me is the aspect that on some days there is so much more clarity than others. I can see the progression though of a more constant inability to comprehend.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@trottingalong , this is about the most eloquent description of what life is like for a PWD that I’ve ever heard. It is going to stay with me for sure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more