Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Harmless behaviors

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

As with most families we have our favorite coffee cup, seat at the table, bath towel we use etc. I’ve noticed lately that DH has been using my towel, sitting in my seat at the table using my coffee cup, even eating my leftover takeout that he use to not like 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of behavior and curious why?

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

that’s new one for me , but there are a bunch of them.

• Jez975
    Jez975 Member Posts: 12
    5 Likes First Comment

I have observed this with my DW. She eats and enjoys foods she never would have eaten before or hadn’t eaten in years.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DW has had juvenile diabetes since she was 8 years old and never ate sweets. She always told be people she never acquired a taste sweets because she couldn't eat them as a child. In the last 6 months she would eat pie or ice cream every single meal. She is also adding twice as much cream and sugar to her coffee.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

one of the first things that happens is they forget what is theirs. They also forget what foods they like or don’t like. My DH used to eat scrambled eggs. I fixed them one morning and he said out of the blue “I don’t like eggs!” I said since when and caught myself as I realized he didn’t remember he liked them. My DH also forgot the names of foods. If I asked if he was hungry he would say no and then eat an entire package of cookies.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Maybe he sees you using it and figures that's the way it's done? I know my dh watches me and follows my lead a lot, and I could imagine him doing that.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

We saw a bit of this just before dad was diagnosed. He wasn't violating household norms as you describe but would sometimes co-opt things that were intended for someone else in the middle stages. At a restaurant, for instance, he'd decide what mom or I had was more appealing once out meals arrived and insist he'd ordered whatever it was and take it. This often led to a 3-way swap as he'd foist his shrimp entree on me and mom would take it as I'm allergic. Not long after, we took to ordering "for the table" to avoid this.

Later, he started to conflate events from other people lives as his own experiences. A flood at my house, mom's TKR and his brother's children were especially striking to hear about.

HB

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I have seen similar behaviors from my DH. Many of the normal habits we never even think about are now not normal or gone. I have to be careful about noticing certain ones though…like using the dish towel to clean the floor, or using my towel to wipe his sweat off. I don’t mind the harmless behavior changes - they are easy to adapt to. It’s those other ones (like not showering for example) that cause us so much grief.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh yes. Every day he was using my towel, brush, shampoo, etc. I got wise and keep my stuff hidden in my closet, pull it out and then return it to its hiding place. I just use a new towel every day to avoid issues. It is the little things that can add up over time.

• KathyBol
    KathyBol Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Yes, my husband has been using my toothbrush! Things never go back to the same place, etc. Today, he decided he wants to sell this house and move back to Rhode Island. ( we live in Rhode Island) We were planning a trip to France in September, he just threw out all thetravel books, because he didn't think he would enjoy it. This is making my head spin, we have been happily married for 18 years, the trip was going to be great, now he doesn't really seem to believe we are married!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

hi KathyBol, I know you posted something similar on another thread.

It’s very disconcerting when you get to the point that your spouse doesn’t know you and doesn’t remember your relationship, it’s quite the emotional shock. This would suggest to me that he is probably in Stage 5 on the 7-stage model. I think you would be wise to cancel your travel plans. Ironically he is probably right, he’s probably not up to it.

• HollyBerry
    HollyBerry Member Posts: 175
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

yes! "My" recliner isn't mine any more… and a bunch of other things. I had wondered if it had to do with boundaries or something else. Guess it's just one more of those AD things that nobody told us about.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

For 50 years, DW and I have slept on "our own" side of the bed, she on the left, I on the right. Now that she treats me like a visitor ("I haven't seen you in ages"), she offers me a choice of side. When I say "right", she says she's always slept on that side. Her rationale for thinking her side is the right is that that side is closer to her closet. Never mind that her nightstand is on the other side, containing all her stuff.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more