Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Very disappointed so just venting

Dio
Dio Member Posts: 681
500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Just lost a bid for a house that's closer to DH's MCF, under a mile. I've been looking since last November and finally found one that was almost perfect. Although bids were the same amount, seller chose the cash offer—who has $2million cash?? I even wrote an impassioned letter along with my bid as to why I wanted to buy this house. I guess compassion has no place in real property sales. Really really bummed at the moment. I know, I know, a better one may be on the horizon. Oh well, the search continues. Can't shake the disappointment, though.

Comments

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 351
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

I can imagine that must be very disappointing. Unfortunately, it's not personal, it's business. You don't mention how far it currently is to the MCF, but could you possibly rent something closer while still keeping your current residence? It may not be ideal, but your DH will not be in the MCF forever. I would like to move out of my ancient mobile home and closer to the area where DH's ALF is. I currently have a 1-1/2 hr. round trip commute, and it is in a part of town I would like to be in for the long term, but with 1 bedroom apartments renting for upwards of $1300/mo., I will be in the trailer park for the duration

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

this is happening in our neck of the woods too and possibly everywhere. Out of town investors are snapping up properties “real” buyers being crowded out. I’m so sorry…

• housefinch
    housefinch Member Posts: 358
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I’m sorry!!!! My metro area is having the same insane situation. That is truly mind boggling.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

fmb, thanks. I'm not that far away, about 45min with no traffic, but have to cross a bridge that gets very congested. As for renting, I thought about it but can't afford the additional rent money. As is, the monthly fee for MCF is draining our savings. So sad. This was supposed to be our golden retirement years…HAH! I'm trying to plan ahead because DH is still so young, only 63. He may easily outlive me. And I'm getting older each day and waning in health and energy. Any savings on gas, bridge toll, anything to reduce monthly expenditures adds up. The only thing I can do now is to stay positive and not let this disappointment or fear of the future deter me. I have to believe that when one door closes, a better one will open. Thanks for allowing me to vent. This group is a lifeline.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I feel for you. This group is a lifeline though. At least we can vent or speak without fear of judgment. I truly hope something else appears on the horizon. Unfortunately what happened to you is occurring everywhere. I, too, would have been extremely disappointed and deflated.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

This has to be one of the worst parts about buying a new house, that and going through problems that always seem to come up during escrow. It’s one of the reasons we don’t move often. A 45 minute drive can end up being much longer when there’s a bridge involved. And these days gas prices and bridge tolls can certainly add up quickly when you’re making frequent trips to visit him. I hope you find another place soon.

• Sunnyside42
    Sunnyside42 Member Posts: 42
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I am sorry for your disappointment, especially since it seemed like the ideal home. Fingers crossed that the one you are supposed to have comes up soon. I think the cost of MCF is criminal when we have to pony up our life savings. Wasn’t supposed to be like this, was it?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more