Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I feel like I'm constantly giving in...

annie51
annie51 Member Posts: 127
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Maybe this is the way it needs to be, but I find myself constantly giving in to DH's requests/demands just to keep him content and prevent him from getting irritated. Example…it's VERY VERY HOT right now but he wants to go for a walk. I suggest waiting until after dinner when the sun is not so hot. He says OK. He asks me again a few minutes later, and then a few minutes later and you all know the drill. Finally I say OK because I know he's irritated and is getting pouty that I'm not doing what he wants. So we walk, we're sweating like pigs of course, we get back to the house and he's complaining that he's wringing wet and it's freezing inside (you gotta laugh).

I try to redirect him into something else when I don't want to or can't do what he wants to do, but we have so little options now of things to do to keep him busy. And for some of the options he used to like (like a walk on the beach instead) he now says he doesn't want to do them. Anyway, I wonder sometimes if I'm enabling this behavior by giving in but then I have to keep telling myself that the world of dementia is different and it's all about keeping the PWD calm and happy.

I just don't know where to draw the line. He talks about going on another ski trip this winter - we went this past January and although we had some fun, it was stressful for me and he wanted to stop skiing each day after only a couple of hours - which may have been only 2-3 runs! A lot of expense for very little fun.

I know I can probably be handling this better…any advice?

Comments

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I know that you are right about outside help. I’m not yet comfortable with approaching him about a day program but maybe I should look at bringing in someone at some point. We don’t have family nearby unfortunately. He loves to have people come over so he can show them the same things he shows everyone that comes over, including contractors, handymen, etc. (lol). I also think I need to invite friends over more often - it’s just that I’m more stressed about it than I used to be. Thanks!

• Stan2
    Stan2 Member Posts: 72
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Unless what she wants is a health, safety or financial problem I find keeping her content and happy goes a long way to keeping me content and happy.

I have always been rather impatient and a bit selfish but I'm learning.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

well said M1

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

read the book The 36 Hour Day which helped me. Have you tried agreeing and redirecting? Something like we’ll go in just a minute when I finish… they ask again because they may not remember asking already and they lose the ability to know how much time has elapsed.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

You might tell him that the day care called and asked for his help.

Iris

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

My DH is alot like yours. He will want to go somewhere and just sit and look at me till I take him. Doesn't seem to notice I just got out of the shower or in the middle of something, I have to stop and take him . Like you I don't want him to get upset.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

it is very hard and frustrating to draw a line because it is always changing. Redirecting is very challenging but I keep to the same broken record response .Last summer I had SOME success with “No, it’s too hot”. Later in the evening I would give a one minute heads up that it was time for a walk . Hang in there and just never make ski reservations again .

• Sandra Jake
    Sandra Jake Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

My daughter, who lives near her Dad, takes care of getting caregivers for him. He has stage 6 Alzheimer according to the institute She has become very frustrated after doing all his doctor care, etc for the past few years since initial diagnosis. He always wants to hang out at her home and after the caregiver leaves he calls her to come get him, After being there for a half hour or so he wants to go home. It is very frustrating for her. She now does not have me interview the caregivers with her, but has them scheduled at his home where I can not climb the many levels. How to make it clear to her that I still need to be involved. She is the only child, no other siblings to help. His Alzheimer's disease as affected her greatly and I am at a loss as how to help her and not be excluded.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This is all so hard, so first, give yourself a break. Sometimes we have to give in, because it is easier that way.

I still struggle with how much to decide on my own and how really present or able my DW is to be involved in decision-making. It's such a difficult balance to find, as she still is ok on some things, and then I'm reminded that she's not. But, I had a reality check with a good friend who visited a couple of weeks ago. I was struggling with an issue with my DW and later that night my friend said to me, "I know you don't want to do this yet, but you need to make this decision. I've been away from you and your DW for a while and I can see her progression with fresh eyes. She cannot process the details and you need to help her." Oof. I realized I still want to treat my DW like my actual partner in these things, and do as much as I possibly can, but I have to assert myself now and again for safety or timing or money.

All that is to say, I still give a ton. But now, I also occasionally will say, "We're not doing that right now, but we will tonight at 5pm." Or whenever I think it will work. Sometimes I even right a note for her that reads, "We're going on a walk at 5pm", so she knows it's booked and we'll be doing it. That usually works for me and her.

Good luck!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney