Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Going out coming to an end?

My dh has been living at assisted living and has now been moved to the memory care unit where he gets more support (help showering, making sure he changes clothing—I don't think he's incontinent). Every Sunday I take him out for lunch and to take a walk somewhere—the mall, a store, a park, a variety. But I'm afraid that's coming to an end.

This past Sunday after lunch we stopped by a new furniture store and he recognized the restroom sign and said he needed to go. Just a moment later, I realized I should make sure he found it ok, but he was already peeing in the water fountain. When he was done (I didn't disturb him while he was in action), he was looking around confused, like something wasn't right. Then he saw me running water. He went to the other water fountain and splashed his hands—that's what he was looking for!

I'm taking him out this week to see my dad—we're meeting at a restaurant, but I'm starting to wonder how long I can keep it up.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’d say you’ve reached it. I would limit non medical outings to your home or your dad’s home. You were very lucky that no one reported him for indecent exposure on this last outing.
    I’m sorry.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DH is in MC now and I can take him out for lunch or ice cream or shopping. The staff always take him to the bathroom prior to leaving to make sure he goes. So far we have gone for several hours with no issues. He has accepted this routine and wears depends even though he still knows when he has to go. Maybe you can establish a routine too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more