Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shout out

Anna2022
Anna2022 Member Posts: 165
100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Every morning I come to the forum before my day starts. i read, learn and try to share when my experience might be helpful. If I have nothing to add, I still respond with the buttons below the posts (Insightful, Like, Care, etc). This morning as I read your posts I was filled with many emotions: Gratitude, empathy, sadness, anger, surprise, etc - the whole range of emotional responses!

So, thank you to EVERYONE who posts here, with questions and comments of your experiences. You have been a life-line to me and all who read this forum. I can't see you, I barely know the details of your lives, but I feel I know you in a particularly special way. Many, many thanks to you all.

Those who are in Stage 8 and continue to post are so very special too. To have reached that stage and to be still try to help those of us who are still trudging, is frankly amazing. I don't know if I will be able to do the same when my time comes to Stage 8.

And a special shout-out to all the doctors/nurses/medical professionals who post on this forum - the combination of lived experience and medical insight is so very precious. Your generosity is extraordinary. Many, many thanks to you all.

Comments

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

I love this post. I agree with all you’ve said. It has been a lifeline for me as well. I, too, admire those who continue to post in Stage 8. I hope that I will have the fortitude to follow their example when I reach that stage.

• debriesea
    debriesea Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Beautifully said! You covered it all! I’m so very thankful for this forum!!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thank you for posting. We are so fortunate to have each other when it seems nobody else understands. I am so thankful everyday for everyone that shares their experiences (good or bad) and their knowledge, and wonderful advice. It makes my journey so much easier.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

thank you for your post. Like you, this is where I go every morning and then throughout the day.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I agree as well. It has been so very helpful to read about what kinds of things happen for others before I experience them. Not that DH and I go through all of the various issues but to have read about so many of the things that have happened blunt the impact. The support and experiences here and the suggestions and explanations from the medical folks also are helping me to figure out what palliative care is and when to say no to diagnostic tests. I still struggle but without this forum, I know I would be feeling as if I wasn’t properly caring for my DH if I didn’t follow through with all the tests, etc that the drs recommend.

• Elshack
    Elshack Member Posts: 238
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am in stage 8 and have been since Nov 24 2023. This place was my lifeline for the past few years and I just want to pay it forward with the lessons I have learned.

• A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you, Anna, for this post. I'm another one in Stage 8 (since 6/4/23), and I'll say again what I've said before: This forum was and still is more help to me than anything else has been. Special thanks to M1, Ed1937, Bill_2001 ("The Cavalry Is Not Coming" remains a classic), harshedbuzz, Crushed (from whom we haven't heard in a while), Joe C., and many others among the regulars. I feel I know you all, even though I don't know you IRL.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

It's completely mutual. I used to call Ed the mayor of the forum because he was so quick to welcome new posters (including me), i miss his input but hope his absence is a good thing, moving on. I too feel like you are all friends and fellow travelers on this road that none of us chose. It makes it more bearable. I am here multiple times a day because i have nowhere else to go, that's the honest truth. It restores my energy for the next hour, the next day, the next step.

• l7pla1w2
    l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

"Me too" posts usually bother me, but, Anna, you so articulately said things that I had considered posting myself. And you did it much better than I would have!

• GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 839
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I'm a recent addition to stage 8 (3/6/24), and I'm where @Elshack is - I still come here most days and post if I think I have something helpful to say.

When I first got here I knew zip about Alzheimer's, and I needed to pick up as much knowledge as I could asap - my sister's well-being depended on it. So I came here, and everyone was so welcoming and helpful. I've learned a lot in the last 5 1/2 years. I hope to give some of that back.

• concerned_sister
    concerned_sister Member Posts: 425
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
    edited June 17

Let me also express my thanks. I'm sibling to the PWD. My SIL is the hands on person. It seems DB hasn't made it to stage 5 yet. Reading the posts from caregivers makes me realize I'm lifting some of the burden, and she (SIL) knows he's safe when spending time with me. I don't think I'd recognize the value of what I do without your insights.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more