Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seizures

Crkddy
Crkddy Member Posts: 84
Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

DW with late stage early on-set had a seizure at home last Friday. Called 911 and EMTs transported her to local hospital, where she had another seizure in the ER. She was admitted and stayed in the hospital for 5 days. The first two days she did not wake up. They did a number of diagnostic tests but didn't determine a specific cause. They did find that she had a severe UTI. I've got her back home now and she is functioning about the same (if not better) as she was before the seizures. The doctors put her on Keppra in effort to prevent further seizures.

As anyone else experienced this with their loved ones?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

I have no personal experience but i know others have posted about this before. Seizures are a relatively rare complication of dementia but not unheard of. I hope she does well on the Keppra, i think it's a drug that is pretty well tolerated. Do keep us posted please.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,401
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Keppra worked well for our son who had epilepsy - but please make sure she takes it on schedule. Sudden stopping of it can result in a seizure. It can also cause anger issues. So watch for that.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

My husband had a seizure a few weeks ago and hospice started him on keppra. So far no additional seizures. All the best to you. I know how scary it must have been.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Thanks for your responses. She seems to be tolerating the Keppra ok thus far. I had not heard before that seizures can be a complication of dementia. It was totally unexpected and terrifying. It is comforting to know that others have similar experiences. Seems that whenever we get settled into a care routine, something changes to upset the apple cart. I recently told my sister this journey is series of constant adjustments. In the middle of year seven now and I'm starting to get burned out. I pray for patience and strength to continue.

• Chloe mom
    Chloe mom Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Hi

I am on the other side of this with my DH having un-controlled seizures over the last 30 years. According to Depart of Veteran’s Affairs, the seizures can cause dementia. I have noticed changes in his seizure activity since he has moved into what I figure is Stage 4. Dementia and seizures all play a role in the functioning of the brain. Hopefully you won’t have as much problem with the seizures being on the Keppra. They can be scary until you get used to them. Hugs

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My mother had a seizure in later stage Alzheimer's, and had no history of them before that. It was quite a surprise. They put her on Keppra. Not sure if it was the introduction of Keppra or a result of the seizure itself, but she was super sleepy and out of it for a few weeks but then normalized. She also had a UTI at the time, it was discovered in the ER. The hypothesis was the infection was enough to tip the scales in the brain chemistry, or some such thing. The stress from an infection can cause all kinds of unexpected issues when the brain is already so compromised. Or maybe it was a coincidence, who knows.

FYI Keppra is one med that cannot be crushed, so we had to discontinue it later when she could no longer swallow pills, but by then she was on hospice and didn't have long, so we weren't as concerned about seizure prevention.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

UTIs can be very serious…glad you caught it.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My DW had a series of small seizures, including "silent" seizures that eventually led to her placement in a MCF. She was placed on Keppra, but unlike the other responses here, she did not tolerate it well and it led to a very noticeable change in personality with very negative thoughts and an increase in difficult behavior. Her neurologist took her off Keppra after a short while. These seizures probably hastened her decline, but decline was inevitable and at least she was much happier and more pleasant. So the point being to become aware of all potential side effects and keep a close eye out for them. Then you and your medical team can decide what to do about them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more