Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm finding respite to be hard on me

Jeanne C.
Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I took my husband to the facility hospice found for 5 days respite care. Red flags as soon as we arrived. I won't tell the drawn out story, but it was dirty and didn't feel safe so I took him right home. I spoke to his social worker and she made arrangements at one of their facilities (it was the backup option because it's over an hour away). The new place was clean and felt safe. I checked him in and have spent the last two days trying to relax and enjoy time with my family. But it's hard. A couple of years ago, he would have loved going to our nephew's graduation. He would have belly laughed at my sisters' stories. He would have been right beside me. But I feel lonely in a room full of people I know and love. I miss him, the old him and even the current version. This is what it's going to be like from now on. I'm a widow already, aren't I?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

yes and I’m sorry. It takes a lot of getting used to- if you ever do.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

yes,,,,sigh

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m so sorry. I was just sitting here reading that book “loving someone who has dementia” and reading this forum. Someone is the book referred to herself as “ a widow waiting to happen.” The author said “Grieving for someone who is still alive but no longer the person he or she used to be is Useful and Necessary for your well being.” It all rings so true.💜

• sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Blessings. I’m just starting out on this journey myself. I’m seeing that for myself too! Thank you guys for sharing the love.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I feel like a widow, too. The sadness is bad, but the lack of understanding from most people about what it's like to have to place a spouse in MC is tough, too.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

We know and understand what you're going through. It's a double edge sword. Just remember why you need this respite and do your best to enjoy this reprieve for your well being. Let the grief come but also let it wash over and/or through you. Only you shall remain.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@Jeanne C. Yes - I too, am a dementia widow. Already, though DH is still here. I understand how you feel with him in respite also.

You expressed my feelings perfectly: "I feel lonely in a room full of people I know and love. I miss him, the old him and even the current version…I'm a widow already, aren't I?"

• Buggytoo
    Buggytoo Member Posts: 73
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

@fmb - "husk of our spouse" so aptly descriptive!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more