Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another Step in the Progression

Sunnyside42
Sunnyside42 Member Posts: 42
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH is 86 and was diagnosed with Alzheimers in August 2021. He remains gentle, with a sense of humor, and in good physical shape for his age. He still volunteers at a community garden which he has done for 17 years. His fellow volunteers know him well, are protective and caring, so I know he is safe while there. The physical work of planting and harvesting is very healthy, plus the social aspect. Of course, later in the day he doesn’t remember that he was there in the morning. So we live Zen-like, in the moment.

Today there was a new element to his behavior. He called me into the bathroom after a bowel movement. He wanted to show it to me. I am not sure what he wanted me to do with it, but was annoyed when I flushed the toilet. He asked me why I did that and I said I thought he wanted me to flush it. This is a new kind of behavior for him. He does a lot of perseverating when we are going on an errand or to the doctor/dentist etc. and does not remember 5 minutes ago. But I guess I was taken aback this morning when this happened. I feel we are entering a new level.

Also, he talks sometimes without making sense. Have heard this called word salad. But usually he can communicate sensibly, so it is like we go twixt and tween.

It is so difficult to plan, not knowing the progression of this disease as it relates to him. I try to take one day at a time, not to project and worry. I guess what happened today surprised me because it was a first.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think you are correct ; another step in disease progression. Perhaps your DH forgot he had a bowel movement and didn’t recognize it as such. It is hard how sometimes communication is ok and then word salad happens. We are going through this as well. The community garden sounds like a great place!

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I love that he still goes to the community garden at 86 yrs old! That is fantastic!
    We are dealing with the same - DH is able to carry on a sensible conversation, then later his words are all jumbled up. But, when he is making up a story in great detail with no truth at all to it, he has no trouble speaking perfectly. Just strange.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

That’s wonderful they have the small conservatory and something you both can tend to together.

• Caro_Lynne
    Caro_Lynne Member Posts: 346
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions First Anniversary

M1, beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. I hope you understand what I mean xo

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What a wonderful activity you can still do together.

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 351
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

What a lovely memento of such a precious memory!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more