Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinence help!

My DH has been urinary incontinent since December 2023. I have tried everything, every overnight product on the market (yes parentgiving as well), doubles, extra pads, 5 washable bed protectors for leaking. I have pretty much stopped the leaking to the bottom sheet with the 5 washables BUT the top sheet is wet every day, as well as the pads underneath him. and his clothing. I wash sheets, pads and clothes EVERY DAY. I am so frustrated that I can't manage this and have to wash sheets, clothes every day. I'm physically done in with the bed changing.

He used to get up to use the bathroom 2x a night but does not do that any more.

Does anyone have any suggestions that I have not tried? I can't imagine I am alone in this. Thank you for help you can give me.

PS I curtail his late afternoon/evening drinking but it does not help.

Tagged:

Comments

• Whyzit2
    Whyzit2 Member Posts: 55
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

I’m sorry you are having to deal with this situation and my heart goes out to you. My DH’s urologist said eliminate all carbonated drinks as well as all caffeine as they stimulate urination. It helped a lot. Also if he is diabetic make sure his blood sugar level is managed well. For my DH the goal was under 120.

(((((HUGS)))))

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I would mention it to the doctor the next time you speak. Are you able to have an overnight carer to change him at night? If not, would you be able change him once at night?

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 664
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I can't offer much help other than what you are doing now.
    I would have to change sheets and clean up sometimes twice a night and in the morning.
    All I knew to do was keep pads directly on the new mattress under the fitted sheetg and a fresh set of sheets on standby. The washing machine was always running. I feel your struggle.

• Tlf44
    Tlf44 Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I use brand name [ Because] cost little more but worth it . Had to change and wash sheets 2-3 times a day for my wife . Also i use a leak free pad on bed , saves lot work . I am so happy i found them super absorbent and holds more. No leaks . Good luck

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

These pads, “KANECH Bed Pads Washable Waterproof, 44"x52" (Pack of 1), Large Bed Pad, Incontinence Bed Pads Reusable, Waterproof Mattress Protector for Adults and Kids” that were mentioned above, do a great job of protecting a mattress and and sheets. In a couple years of urinary incontinence I have only had to change one of these maybe a half dozen times, and they’re not that big, so easy to change. (I have a couple extras.) Using a large Chucks pad or puppy pee pad on top of it keeps these mattress pads dry 99% of the time. Postpartum Incontinence Pads or something equally thick, placed inside incontinence pull-ups wick moisture away from the body during the night and absorb a lot. With the right supplies and if your spouse sleeps, and doesn’t move around a lot at night, you won’t be changing sheets during the night.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Longtime member Ed used to put about 3 layers of sheet, underpad, etc. on the waterproof covered mattress and when his DW got soaked in the middle of the night he’d just remove the top layer & still have bedding there to get back to sleep without having to change ALL linens and remake the bed.

If you search there may be an old thread that explains his process.

FWIW, we use the giant insert pad in DH’s pull-ups and those “pant liners” hold a lot. I still have to get DH up to be changed at least 1x every night or he will have wet clothes and sheets. For now, I’d rather stand him up & quickly change the insert pad - than all that extra work a few hours later (eg. 4 a.m. waterworks plus extra laundry is not my idea of fun.)

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,750
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

forget the pajamas…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia