Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When is it Time to Move?

Good Morning,

What are the signs that indicate it is truly time to move a parent who is in late stages of dementia to a Memory Care residence?

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

depends on their current situation. Do they have care at home? Do they live with someone else? Can that person or persons continue to care for them as their needs grow.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

PS: The Memory Care facility usually has a nurse or someone that can evaluate them.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@hoppetablet

Hi and welcome back. It's hard to answer this question without more information.

It's almost a year since you last posted about mom's distressing delusions, her late nights and dad being reluctant to accept advice from his adult children. What's the situation like now?

HB

• Laurie1282
    Laurie1282 Member Posts: 53
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I've been visiting memory care facilities in preparation for my husband's eventual placement. One place gave me some really good insightful indicators that it may be time for placement.

1. Is the person with dementia safe where they are now?
    2. Is the caregiver suffering physically or emotionally?
    3. Is the person with dementia needing socialization and a routine?

Good luck! I think it will be very difficult to determine WHEN for my husband. I plan to trust my gut and am preparing ahead of time for when the time is right. Thankfully money will not be too much of an issue and I am getting ready to go back to being his wife instead of his nurse.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more