Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Absent wife

Hi everyone! I'm having great great difficulty coping with my precious wife of 61 years being in a memory care facility suffering from dementia

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I can only imagine how you must feel. I dread the thought that I will have to place my DH someday. The best of can offer you in that you know that she is getting appropriate care for her condition, that she is safe and that you have given everything you can. I don't know if you have children but maybe this might help. I remember when my son went away to college. I knew it was best for him and that he would be better off in a independent living situation, but boy did I cry when he left and mourn his absence from the house. It is so difficult when we are confronted with changes to our lives and second guess our decisions. The second guessing and absence can be painful, but you know in your mind it is for her best.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Change, a loss and a smack of reality….I found it terribly difficult too. My heart is with you…..

Judith

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

swissman82,

I am so sorry for your heartache . There are several members here who are struggling as you are. I hope they can give you some of their coping tips. It is pain deeper than most can imagine . Thank you for sharing.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I know exactly how you feel. I had to place my husband in Memory Care 6 months ago due to my cancer diagnosis. What you are experiencing is grief. I try to remember he is being well cared for. Once I recover from surgery I plan on joining a support group at the facility. It helps to talk to someone who understands. This forum helps me.

• GiGi1963
    GiGi1963 Member Posts: 101
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Swiss man, I too am lonely and heartbroken after placing my husband of 60 years in MC. As reality sets in, the days roll on and become routine. I have accepted that all our plans have changed and I try to make each visit with him a happy one. It is not how I thought our story would end. Stay strong.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more