Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Quetiapine

jecoiner
jecoiner Member Posts: 7
5 Care Reactions First Comment

I have mentioned here before that my DH has been taking Quetiapine at night only. This past Sunday, I noticed that he was restless so I gave him a pill in the afternoon. It seemed to work in the reverse. Made him more delusional and very agitated. On Monday and Tuesday, I gave him dosages in the afternoon and the delusions and agitation got worse. Has anyone else had a similar reaction with this drug?

Comments

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I don't know how long your husband has been taking the med. While this med is helpful for many, everyone is different and my mother had to stop taking it in a week. She became very agitated and went into delirium. I recommend speaking with the doctor.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I know this may sound crazy but he may need a higher dose. How much is he taking?

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 19

It is always best for the doctor to advise regarding dosage and timing, and definitely frequent changes. I know not all meds can be taken on an “as needed”basis. I’d be careful doing that.

Longtime Quetiapine devotees here and no, we have never had that effect. A regular schedule with intervals that keep a fairly even amount in his system works best here. And it took a while to build up in his system as well as to learn the right dosage level for ongoing behavioral stability.

The times in early days when he went off the rails anyway, I wasn’t monitoring as closely and learned he was pocketing &/ or pitching the Seroquel - not even swallowing it!

Maybe crush it and put into his juice or pudding to be sure he’s taking it. And yes the dose had to be titrated up several times before it was strong enough to help DH. Also, what else is your DH taking? If all else fails, consider checking for UTI

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My doctor gave a Rx for Quetiapine 50 mg to be taken at night. I read a post that stated when she gave it at night, it caused incontinence to start. So, I give it to my husband at dinner time. Then a few weeks ago the Dr added 25 mg in the morning to handle the anxiety and agitation upon waking.
    It works so well for him. The hallucinations stopped, but the delusions continue minus the anxiety and agitation. So, really it’s like calm conversational delusions. It’s easy to listen to him and respond when he is not anxious or scared.
    I just wish it would work this well for everyone. I guess all of our bodies are just so different and it’s complicated. I really hope the Dr figures out a med that will help both you and him. It makes such a huge difference.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more