Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fits of crying

My beautiful queen of 61 years has been in a memory care facility suffering from dementia for one year now. I'm having great difficulty coping with her not being under this roof. Practically every day I have these fits of crying. I often feel that I am going to die of a broken heart 💔

Comments

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I would recommend seeking counseling and possibly treatment with an antidepressant. I have personally done both and found them invaluable during this difficult journey.

• DTSbuddy
    DTSbuddy Member Posts: 86
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Swissman82. I am so sorry for your ongoing grief. She must be a wonderful wonderful person. I wept almost daily through the third year as my DH became unable to understand or speak to me. Somehow, the grief has subsided, and I find the task of keeping him occupied and safe, is interesting and involving. And I am starting to enjoy doing some things I have not done very much in 60 years -like singing, and trying to connect with old friends and some new ones. I'm sorry for the loneliness you must be feeling. Best of luck to you.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

61 years together. Fits of crying seems the absolute correct reaction to watching your queen drift away from this horrible disease.

Even though I have my own fits of crying and I think it's natural, I also got a low dose of an antidepressant. It helps immeasurably.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

We feel your pain. The grief is part of healing. Crying is a release of sorts. I know I've cried me more than a river myself. It will subside. Hugs…

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Your heart is broken and grief hurts.

Come here anytime and share some memories or worries. We really understand and we do care…

• Jazzma
    Jazzma Member Posts: 105
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I know it feels impossible, like you cannot survive being so sad. I was there for four months. Calling my brother every other night sobbing hysterically. I also know that after four months things have improved. I still cry when I leave from visiting him, and often cry at night before going to bed alone, but it's not the devastation it was. A good friend of mine, early on, said 'It will get better — I promise' and while I didn't believe they could make that promise, it really has gotten better.

Hold on. Cry as much as you have to. Find people who can be with you in person or on line while you cry. Breathe. Try to rest. Remember to eat and to stay hydrated. You will get through this even though it seems impossible now.

Sending you hugs and warm thoughts.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney