Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Different day different symptom

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

ok every time I think I have a handle on dealing with this awful illness something happens to upset the apple cart once again! The “ have patience, he can’t help it, it’s out of your control, it’s the dementia thing has helped but then you get a series of Oh my God moments!! Apparently DH’s memory is fading as he can’t remember what he just did or where we just went or who we just talked to!
Spent an hour yesterday restoring connection to the tv after he messed it up! We have 3 tvs in the house and he took all the remotes to try to fix his tv! Finally paired each remote with its TV owner and restored connection to his . He managed to mess it up again today and I don’t have the energy to figure it out again! One remote changed this another that!!! Thanks for my vent! Actually feel better

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

So glad you vented!!! I finally hid the remotes after a series of mishaps . Now it is tucked away where I can use it and I took away other TV’s. He no longer fusses about it and I am finally in charge of the TV and remote . Every day is a new day

• JC5
    JC5 Member Posts: 164
    100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

oMG! Thank you! Thought it was just my issue! Good to know! Love this forum❤️

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 351
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

You're not alone. I disappeared DH's cell phone and the remote when he kept confusing the two. Although he has a TV in his room at the ALF, he has no idea how to operate it and probably couldn't see the buttons anyway. The aides or I use the remote or he watches TV in the common living room area.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,401
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I finally labeled mom’s remotes with the room they went with. The AL staff is continually fixing her TV because she gets it on some channel and can’t get it back to her game show channel.

• BarnesL
    BarnesL Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

It's reassuring to hear of other problems with remotes. My DW confusines the computer mouse with the tv remote sometimes. I'm not sure why she even tries the remote because she has no idea how it works and wouldn't remember if I told her. It helps to other people's problems on the website.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

This is a safe place to vent. My DH had the opposite problem. He didn't [want to] touch any gadgets for fear of breaking them. This fear extended to me so that he would manically stop me from using the coffeemaker, stereo/Amazon music, tv, computer, smartphone, just you name it, claiming that I would break them. If the tv was on, he would say "turn it off! turn it off! You're going to break it!" If I was making coffee in the morning, he'd say "stop, you're doing it all wrong. you're gonna break the coffee machine!" Day in and day out. It drove me to the brink of insanity.

Looking back now, these were the good days. Horrors had yet to come.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

MY DH lost his ability to use the phone & use the remotes early on. He also could not determine if it was AM or PM and was upset that he couldn't watch something that came on later in the day. He wanted to watch it right then! My DH has been in memory care for 6 months and no longer watches TV. So sad.

• psg712
    psg712 Member Posts: 343
    100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 21

Mom had fits with her TV remote when she lived a in her own place. When she moved to AL, she seemed to forget how to turn it on at all. It was on maybe 3 or 4 times in 18 months because my so turned it on. We didn't move the TV with her when she went to MC.

• Bill_2001
    Bill_2001 Member Posts: 114
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions

O, for the memories of Stages 3 and 4, when my wife would use the wrong remote, or mess up the device pairing. As I have mentioned before, Stages 3 and 4 can be more difficult than later stages, as your loved one still has enough functioning to attempt to operate things around the house.

I simply hide things like remotes from my wife, solidly in Stage 6, as she would simply try to eat them.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more