Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Excessive sleeping

krrtools
krrtools Member Posts: 1 Member

some days my wife will sleep almost 20 hours. Is this common among those with Alzheimer’s?

Comments

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My DH late stage 5/ early 6 was sleeping for 16+ hours because of the new meds (Seroquel). But now that he is adjusting to the meds, he’ll take a 1 or 2 hr nap in the evening, and then sleep 9 hours straight through the night.
    Is your wife on meds that make her sleepy?

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

The last months of her life, my mom slept 20 or more hours a day, not on any meds. If she has deteriorating health, such as weight loss or loss of motor control, I would call in hospice for an assessment.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

My wife is stage 5 and has vascular dementia. She usually sleeps 10-11 hours at night and takes a 1-2 hour nap during the day. She will on occasion sleep 18-20 hours in a 24 hour period.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You don’t say how far along your wife is, but sleeping a very long time became more the norm as my DW progressed in her dementia. She is now in a MCF, and many residents seem to sleep a great deal, even those not nearly as far along as my DW.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

MY DH sleeps approx. 20 hrs. per day. He's been doing that for over a year. We went through testing with the clinical pharmacist at the VA and determined it wasn't due to his meds. My daughter is director of a memory care center. She tells me this is common in the later stages of Alzheimer's. For awhile, I made attempts to convince him to get out of bed and let me take him out to dinner, on a drive, etc. But I finally gave up and decided to just let him sleep.

• JiminTexas
    JiminTexas Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My DW likes to sit in bed at night and watch shows but usually not much past 1 am. Then she sleeps in, usually until between 11:30 and 1pm. She will eat a bowel of yogurt and drink some Coke (to "wake her butt up"). She might eat a small frozen dinner then will go up for a nap between 2 and 3 pm. She will then sleep till after 5, sometimes 6pm, unless I wake her. I was wondering myself if this was normal.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

krrtools, my DW went from sleeping about 12 hours a day to sleeping 20+ hours a day over a six month period. I thought it was just progression. Then she had seizures and was hospitalized. During her hospital stay she was diagnosed with a severe UTI. Since being treated and leaving the hospital, she has returned to sleeping about 12 hours again. Don't know how this might relate to your situation, but you may want to talk to her doctor.

• Kibbee
    Kibbee Member Posts: 229
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH sleeps more now than he did a year ago. He catnaps on and off all day, and then sleeps solidly all night. I give him two melatonin gummies at bedtime, so that may be helping him to get to sleep at night and to stay asleep. I don’t worry about the increased sleeping time. He is progressing into his disease so it is to expected. The body knows what it needs, and for him at this point his body apparently needs more sleep. As long as he is safe and content, I am good with it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more