Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An update

Jazzma
Jazzma Member Posts: 105
Fifth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I've been off this site for a while due to Covid and a computer crash. But….things are much better. As many of you know, my husband went into memory care recently and I have had a very hard time accepting the situation. I finally decided that if I can't accept it, I have to figure out how to realistically bring him back home. The process has helped me focus, make progress, and realize that it may not ultimately be what I decide to do. In the meantime I have changed house locks (long overdue), installed safety (anti-dementia) locks on some doors, moved our bedroom downstairs, blocked access to upstairs and basement, installed a motion detector next to the (new) bed, replaced smoke detectors (again overdue), worked with his neurologist to address sundowning and sleep issues, and arranged with the local fire department and the memory care facility for him to be admitted there immediately (any time of day or night — these guys are great) if anything were to happen to me. I've found a good therapist for myself.

He has adjusted pretty well to where he is living now. The facility he is in is open to having him for daycare and overnights, and encouraged me to try taking him home for a week or two before making a decision. They are wonderful. And, finally, I've been offered contract work in my specialty (45 years experience) that I can do from home but may develop into a full time position.

A lot of options are open now. I am no longer desolate. And I thank all of you, over and over again, for supporting me through my anguish and denial.

Comments

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good to see your post! You sound MUCH better and it is wonderful all the accomplishments you mentioned. Good to have options . Thank you for sharing; I know it helps all of us

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

That’s great! The feeling that we have some positive choices, and potential options — that makes all the difference in the world. Good for you, whatever you eventually decide.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That's a wonderful update Jazzma. I'm happy for you.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow! You are a mighty warrior. Congrats to your strength and resilience. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. I am so glad that you have these options. I am sure it is very liberating. You are an inspiration.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more