Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dementia and explosive fireworks

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't know how it is in your area but in my area, my neighorhood end entire city, people are lighting off fireworks that sound like canons. This will be the first firework holiday where I won't be able to comfort my DW during those times.
I'm concerned, because she'll be in her room all alone, she'll freak out becoming terrified because she doesn't understand what's happening. She'll forget by morning but in that moment she will be very scared.
Wondering what experience everyone else has.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Yikes! Has this started in your community already? I'm sorry.

Some thoughts-

Perhaps you should alert staff that you anticipate this as a problem so they can make a plan proactively to be on the alert.

Can you rearrange your visits for evenings or even overnight until the festivities are over?

Could her doctor prescribe something like Xanax situationally to help he be less upset by the noise?

I wonder if this would respond to a weighted blanket much as they can help people with PTSD or sensory issues?

HB

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 351
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

There may be others in the MCF who are also terrified by fireworks. Could the facility hold a group event in the common area? Perhaps a light and funny movie or cartoons on the living room TV the night of the 4th when the worst fireworks occur. I agree with HB about visiting in the evening if possible. Facing a fear alone in the dark is terrifying for anyone, let alone a PWD.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more