Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Namenda Seroquel Newbee

ClarkEb
ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

neurologist started LO on Namenda 5 MG twice a day. She will take morning dose with other meds. Other dose has to be mixed with Jelly in PB&J at lunch or if no lunch with applesauce at dinner.

Also started LO on Seroquel25 MG once a day. Instructed to crush with second dose of Namenda and add to PB&J or applesauce.

I have read numerous posts about how well LO did on Seroquel.

Any advice?

Things to watch for?

Trips home along with an increasing number of “this is not my home” events at night, are an all day event

Speaking of “not my home”, any distraction tips? Usually happens on night runs, after dinner, after dark. Last night 4 attempts, limited number of roads here in the country, but even at 10pm she could remember how many times we went by this section of fence…strange.

Speaking of strange: a lot of the trips one are so well scripted it is hard to figure which way is up. The other night she was busy putting the “little ones” to bed. When finished she was ready to go home, as usuall i offered to take her. “You cannot leave you are the baby sitter” trapped. Happened with caring for the dog once or twice. Couldn’t find the other dog when time to leave. there is only one dog,

Comments

• wizmo
    wizmo Member Posts: 96
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Things to watch for with both meds are sedation effects - sleepy, lethargic, loss of coordination and balance. DW tried namenda (w/ donepezil) shortly after diagnosis and became lethargic before getting to full dosage so we stopped that. Kept on with donepezil for 5+ years then added seroquel on slow but continuous ramp. Everyone is different, just watch for unexpected big changes and consult with Dr. if you are not sure, and don't hesitate to stop something new for adverse side effects.

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Namen da is a great drug. My Dh was on it for awhile and it was helping. He began to have coughing spells constantly. Had to be taken off it. Evidently about 4% of people have that reaction, so would be something to watch for.

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Seroquel did not stop the delusions with my DH, but the anxiety and agitation that accompanied the delusions are gone.
    Last night while I was getting ready for bed, he came in fully dressed and said he was going outside to look for his mom since she left and is unfamiliar with this area. He was not upset - just giving me the facts. I just told him she headed back to Florida (she passed away 15 yrs ago) and that he better get ready for bed because we had a busy day and we’re tired. He said … ok, but I wonder why she didn’t say goodbye before she left. Then he got ready for bed. Before the Seroquel, he would have been pacing and worrying, and it could have gone on for hours instead of 10 minutes.
    I hope your LO has good results too!

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Neither of these drugs worked for my DH. Namenda was started shortly after diagnosis three years ago;, by the time we got it titrated to full dose in a month, he was screaming at customer service agents on the phone. It was discontinued with his neurologist’s blessing. And I just spent a month trying to make seroquel work. It made him incredibly sleepy, more confused, altered his gait and made him fall. And the best thing about my DH before starting seroquel was how good his walking and balance were. So we have bailed on that and are moving onto risperidone. Seroquel was not the magic pill that I had hoped for. But as they say, YMMV. Everyone is different.

• towhee
    towhee Member Posts: 471
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Are you absolutely sure about these instructions? Usually namenda is started at 5 mg once a day and then increased in one week to 5 mg twice a day, increasing each week by one 5 mg dose per day till it gets to the recommended maximum dose. And it is given further apart than 3 to 4 hours.

In general, unless it is an emergency, it is best to start one medication at the time. Otherwise, how do you know what benefits or side effects belong to which medication?

Both of these medications can have sleepiness or dizziness as a side effect, especially with the first doses. Please be careful. My LO had trouble walking after taking these, but she was on other medications as well.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more