Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A new unexpected life.

Lucifer
Lucifer Member Posts: 3
5 Care Reactions First Anniversary First Comment

I worked hard for 45 years in a self employed stressful medical business. Have a wife and three kids and I worked scared all my life. Always what if. what if I die. What if I am disabled. What if the kids aren't brought up right and get into trouble. What if they can't find jobs. Etc. I denied myself enjoyment in the name of providing for the family. My goal was to being able to retire with the financial security for myself and family and enjoy the last years of my life with my wife doing the things we enjoyed 54 years ago. At 67 I did it. My wife retired too or should I say quit. Quit everything except the joy of her grandchildren. Fortunately I found a travelling partner with the same situation and we had a good ten years. Now, both wives have cognitive problems and "the boys" can't be away for more than three or four days. Her memory doesn't last day to day. She doesn't want to drive in fear of getting lost even with GPS. She hasn't cooked for ten years. She no longer house cleans. She watches TV ten to twelve hours a day. I suffer from an inherited depression that I am medicated for and counsulled for. But this is driving me to drink to find relief. I can cover all of her short comings but this isn't a life I looked forward to.

i

i

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

so sorry. this is not the life any of us wanted. Read the book “The 36 Hour Day” which was recommended by a nurse. Learn all you can about this heartbreaking & terrifying illness. Make a list of things you need to do. Get DPOAs from an Elder Care Attorney. Plan what long term care will look like. Get finances in order. Come here for help and support.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Sorry you have to be here. We all are. None of us wants to be in this predicament. Life isn't always fair. Be glad she recused herself from driving. Be glad she can watch TV, period. Take the wins while you can. Take a deep breath. Take care of your depression. You will survive this.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lucifer
    Lucifer Member Posts: 3
    5 Care Reactions First Anniversary First Comment

Our legal and financial lives are completely in order. Instructions have been given in the event I die first.

I am a planner for everything physical and will manage any and all future decline in her mental state.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I'm glad you've made plans for your future, @Lucifer . That will at least ensure somewhat against the terrible "what ifs" of life. Please remember to adjust as needed. We all feel the loss of the future(s) we planned for. About the only thing that helps me is to slow down, and go moment by moment if I must, reminding myself of what I still have. Hard to do when struggling with depression, I know. One tiny step at a time…

• Janis Gail
    Janis Gail Member Posts: 2
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Hi, I feel your pain and loss. We have a similar situation, although my partner is still living at home. She was diagnosed with MCI in 2019. We are both grieving the progressive losses that continue day after day, everyday. We have money too, and MK says, "It's not fair, we worked so hard so we could retire," and now she has AD and we can't do the things that we wanted to do. We are sad. We love each other very much.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more