Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH has 1st Geriatric appointment

The Memory Care called about appointment. I asked what takes place at 1st appointment. She said review history, testing…clock, word, memory…less than an hour. My DH asked what was that all about. I told him to meet with geriatric doctor that would help me in future if I need help with his medications. The neurologist is no help. He was diagnosed with MCI 2 years ago. His memory has declined, but is doing well with routines and moods have been good. He asked me if I thought he was getting worse. He knows he has memory problems. I am afraid if they diagnose it will put him depression. Doctors seem have attitude to hide nothing. I don’t want him to be scared. Any advice for me? What was your 1st appointment like with geriatric doctor?

The last 2 weeks has been difficult. Our 13 old dog having health issues and we been to vet couple times. He is on medications to see if he improves. I feel he is not going to make it. If it gets to that time, the vet will suggest putting him down. My DH will want to redo many tests over and over again. That is what happen with the cats we loss 2 years ago. They could not walk and no life. We are so sad, but I do not want our dog to suffer.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

my husbands doctor said Dementia probably vascular the first visit. I never said those words to my DH. He forgot what the doctor said. When I discussed his meds or appointments I would say it’s for your brain. One time someone said dementia and he said I don’t have that do I? I said you have a problem with your brain. He never asked again. He knows something is wrong.

• justbreathe2
    justbreathe2 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you SDaniel. I will not tell him about the testing. He will not be happy. Some things he can do well except memory recall. I never say Alzheimer’s or dementia. Hope he doesn’t remember if she diagnoses him. I say the same things to him.

Happy to finally get an appointment. Hope it will be helpful for me long term.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

In my experience it doesn't matter much what the docs say because they talk so fast my dh couldn't do more than catching the occasional word. Which turns out to be a good thing in its own way, as the docs we got had no tact.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more