Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The age old question - Is there life after caregiving?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Just wanted to touch bases, and let you know my experience with this. June 24, just a few days ago, marked 2 years since my wife passed. This has been harder than I ever could have imagined, although I don't know how much, if any, was due to caregiving. I had absolutely no interest in doing anything, and I think I just turned the corner on that. But I still miss her terribly.

My oldest son gave me a beautiful cedar planter (pictured) for Father's Day. This lit a fire under me, and I decided to build a fold down work table for the garage. I have woodworking tools, and I enjoyed that so much that I decided to make some simple small planters myself. My first one (also pictured) was made out of treated wood, and I enjoyed it so much I bought some more treated wood and some cedar to make some different planters, basically for family members. If he hadn't given me that, I'd probably still be in my funk. Two years is a long time to be stuck.

So yes, there is life after caregiving. I think of you often, and you are still in my prayers.

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Ed, those are beautiful! Glad you are finding joy in life again.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

so glad to hear from you Ed. The planters are great. I’m glad you could take some pleasure in a project. I am preparing myself for it to be a very long haul.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Very glad to hear. You are very talented.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,401
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

beautiful!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

Mayor Ed—

I think of you often; thanks for checking in.

Doing something creative is good for the soul and those are lovely. Your recipients are fortunate indeed.

HB

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hello Ed, thanks for sharing.

Iris

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@Ed1937 It is so good to hear from you - we definitely think of you often and share many of your helpful insights. Your planters are masterpieces! So glad your son's beautiful Father's Day gift inspired you to make something with your hands again, since that clearly brings you joy.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

hello Ed. Grief takes time. You were one of the first on this forum I found when my DH was diagnosed 3 years ago. I am grieving a different way. I can’t seem to want to do anything due to missing him so much and my guilt of feeling like I failed him. Thanks for your wonderful post. The planters are beautiful!

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Wow! Beautiful planter boxes!! Are you selling? So glad you found a passion, and so grateful you're showing us hope, that there is life after caregiving!!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    edited June 28

Ed, it is wonderful to hear from you. I had been wondering how you were doing and here you are! The planters are terrific; and your son is a terrific fellow for his insight and thoughtfulness. I am glad you have found something to pique your interest.

Anytime you feel moved to drop in and share your experience and wisdom on a Post, please feel free to do so. You have always been kind, insightful, thoughtful and in your experience when things became so difficult, as hard as it was, you rose well to challenges as they appeared.

Take good care and enjoy your new hobby and do share some photos of your creations!

J.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed it’s so good to hear from you. Your planters look really pretty. There’s nothing better than working with your hands. It’s been 3 months now since David, my husband was free from dementia. I will always miss him but I know he is in a better place and I will be with him again someday. I try to keep myself busy working in my garden’s but it’s so hot outside I can only do it early in the mornings. I need to find another hobby to stay busy. I don’t really enjoy being around other people right now.
    Glad your son inspired you!!

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, Great to see your post, I think of you often. Nice job on this planter and glad you found something to boost your spirits.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Ed,

It is great to hear from you. I always think about you when I am on the forum. The planters look terrific. I am so glad that the fire was lit and I am hoping that you can stoke that fire to all other aspects of life. Take care.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Ed,

Glad you are making progress! The planters look awesome.

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 28

Good to hear from you Ed and I'm glad you are finding some semblance of life again! Cheers to you Ed and please carry on!

My DW is in MC so my caregiving burden is less but it's still there. 1AM calls from MC that she fell out of bed again. . . etc. . .you get the point.
    Is there life after caregiving? I think so but it can take a while to recoop. I'm still tired and somewhat dragging my feet on things. Possibly because I still drink too much on occasion but normally my daily drink limit is two / three and I usually stick to that but some days. . . . .
    I still can't really make plans. I am supposed to go play golf with my cousin in Kentucky but there is always another emergency just around the corner so I probably won't be able to relax even if I can make that trip. I also have to find someone to watch my dog and my mom's dog while I'm gone for a week. My step daughter stepped up to help me and I'm grateful for her. I don't have any family, blood, family that is, anywhere close now. Just my brother in texas and my uncle who lives close but has his own family issues he's dealing with.
    After it's all said and done will I find life again? I keep thinking about the time I'm free I'll have my own health issues to deal with so there's that looming also as I get older.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So glad to see you post again. I know you and your DW were really soul mates. But companionship isn't the only thing that can bring joy. Creating useful and decorative objects has helped humans since time immemorial. How wonderful that you've started to find some fulfillment in this way. You are giving hope to many, including me. With thanks!

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 468
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Beautiful!! Thank you Ed!!!!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Once again, thanks for the kind words. The planters are really easy to make. Most people here could make them. But it did give me some enjoyment just getting into the shop again.

M1, I know you had some health issues too, and I hope you are managing it without difficulty.

Jo, I know you have health issues too. Hopefully you learned how to deal with that. I know it's not easy to have your life turned around on you after you've had good health in the past.

Joydean, I'm sorry you are now trying to find your way through stage 8. But I can guarantee you that it will get easier with time.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

hi Ed, it’s so good to see your post! The planters are beautiful. You have always been an inspiration.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, it's nice to hear from you!

The planter's beautiful. I love being outside with plants, that's my happy spot. I hope you continue to find joy and purpose.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Beautiful planters. I’m glad you found something that peaked your interest. It must feel good.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more