Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Medicaid (MD)

ClarkEb
ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Trying to understand. When an individual gets to a certain point in paying for medical costs, they can approach Medicaid. From what little i have read, there is a provision where they wil require the individual to spend their own resources until they reach a certain limit. In MD 2500 (?) for individuals and a higher amount for spouse not receiving medical care. I thinks this is referred to a Spending Down. But then i read about the 5 year look back. Where Medicaid looks at your spending to see if there was any thing that may be considered a gift?. Not sure if this includes things like helping family with expenses. If they find something’s the individual is subject to a Penalty, where they have to pay so many months expenses to liquidate the penalty. I guess my question is: if i have to approach Medicare for help, where would i get the money to pay for the penalty?

I probably dont have all the facts correct, but thought i would ask.

Thank you

Comments

• charley0419
    charley0419 Member Posts: 354
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I was told if house in both names at time you apply for medicade you should change deed to your name , its legal but can only change to you or husband only.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

ClarkEb, the rules are complicated and vary by state. This is where the guidance of a certified elder law attorney is invaluable and worth the cost to get it right.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I was able to get my husband qualified for Medicaid. There are a lot of rules and each state varies. I'm including a link to Medicaid by state below. BUT I strongly suggest you meet with a certified elder law attorney (CELA) before you do anything. For example, in my state I was able to do the spend-down through a Medicaid compliant annuity that paid the money back to me. You really don't want to move assets or change deeds until you speak to an expert.

MMedicaid by state: https://www.medicaidplanningassistance.org/state-specific-medicaid-eligibility/

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I am a Md Lawyer GET a medicaid LAWYER YESTERDAY

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 849
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Definitely consult with an Certified Elderlaw Attorney! I live in Missouri and am at the end of the spend down. It has been rough but with the guidance of my lawyer I have been able to do this. The cost is well worth it.

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 803
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 1

One more thing, I just thought of. You mentioned in another post that you were looking into some accessibility renovations. Check with your CELA first. You may be able to use some of your spend-down on that. Or, better yet, you may be able to get some help from Medicaid. Medicaid paid for a walk in shower for my husband.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more