Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tam Cummings: Loss of ability to smile - indicative that death is near

Vitruvius
Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Yet again I seek your insights into my DW's decline through Stage 7. She is still losing weight, but is still with us. The document from the Fisher Center, recommended on this site as a staging tool, further breaks down Stage 7 into six substages 7a-7f.  Although my DW has Semantic Dementia not AD, in Stage 7 the issues are the same. It gives duration averages for each substage of 1 to 1.5 years each. My DW exhibits all the characteristics of 7a-7d and seems to be in substage 7e, having raced through the first four substages in far, far less time.  The document goes on to say:

"AD persons who survive [substage 7d] subsequently lose the ability to smile (stage 7e). At this substage only grimacing facial movements are observed in place of smiles."

My DW has not smiled for probably 6-8 weeks, she has always just had her mouth closed in a very mild frown (unless she was expressing pain, or clamping her lips to refuse food). I didn't know if it was because she wasn't with it enough to be in a mood to smile, or if she couldn't. In months past, if she heard laughter or loud boisterous talking she would smile and chuckle along with it, probably not really understanding the actual reason for it all. She hadn't done this for awhile but on my last visit people were loudly laughing and without opening her mouth she made a soft chuckle. Her lips never changed position, they remained in the usual mild frown.

And hence my question, does anyone here have any experience to share with me on a LO who has exhibited similar behavior? How near the end were they?

I might note that the document also notes; "This 7e substage ... is followed in survivors by a final 7f substage, in which AD persons additionally lose the ability to hold up their head independently." My DW can still hold her head up away from the back and side cushions when in her Broda chair when she is semi alert, although she often rests it against the headrest when she drops back to a less alert state.

Distressingly it does go on to say: "Persons can survive in this final 7f substage indefinitely"... Wait…What? My DW can attain immortality through dementia?

Anyway, any insights or observations would be appreciated. 

Comments

• elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I wouldn't rely on the staging tool as gospel. Most people die from other health problems like heart disease, diabetes, or cancer before they go through all the sub-stages in stage 7.

My hubby went from stage 7a to death in 8 days. He had been on hospice for 6 months at that point.

He had no other serious health issues. He just had EOAD. That is the cause of death listed on his death certificate.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited June 29

Vitruvius, we are just a step behind you. Today at least.

Having survived a few very near death downturns in the last year though, I can imagine him going from “stable” in early Stage 7, to suddenly gone as Elainechem described. Though my DH is not EOAD which we know progresses faster.

I will be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for the reminder about the Fisher Center staging detail as well.

Dr Barry Reisberg’s (Fisher) timeline and Dr Tam Cummings’ staging is a combination that I’ve found helpful through the years. https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My husband hasn't smiled in …. 2 years? 1 year? I have no idea. He can't move on his own (even his arms), needs to be fed, and no longer talks.

Hospice tells me he can go on like this for years yet.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Vitruvius

My own dad (mixed dementia—ALZ/WKS) seemed to race through the final stages despite maintaining speech and ambulation. FTR, he remained conversational until the end. Prior to that, his progression seemed quite average.

I would say that the inability to smile occurred in the last month. I have a great picture and video taken about 6 weeks before he died of him singing ("Blueberry Hill" which was "their song") along with a DJ at an event at the MCF.

About 10 days before he died, I was taking a picture of him, and he was attempting to cooperate with a smile and couldn't— I got a strange grimace instead. I also commented to my husband that around this time, his whole physical look changed. He'd been losing weight at an ominous rate despite eating, but this was more as if he was morphing into someone completely different. His body shape and face changed to a degree that he wasn't easily recognizable, even his gender was hard to recognize.

His death certificate lists Alzheimer's Disease and Aspiration Pneumonia as cause of death. It is possible he could have died from a cardiac event, but we declined an autopsy.

HB

• BassetHoundAnn
    BassetHoundAnn Member Posts: 478
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Loss of ability to smile… It seems to vary a lot among different people. My mom was smiling until the day before she died. She was probably in stage 7e or 7f. She had stopped eating and drinking.

I visited her nearly every day in MC and talked to other residents. Many seemed to have lost the ability to smile early on. Many retained it until they were quite advanced. Like conversational ability, the ability to smile is something some people hold onto for a long time, and some lose early.

I think that was is indicative of approaching death is a mask-like look that some people get. Hard to describe but you know it when you see it. It's a gaunt, gray, mostly expression-less appearance, skin taut, cheeks angular.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    edited July 1

"Distressingly it does go on to say: "Persons can survive in this final 7f substage indefinitely"...

absolutely

DW has been in late stage 7 for four years . I have face time photos from almost every day
    She has no cognitive functioning whatever but does chew and swallow She is 72 and otherwise in fine health

MCI 2010
    young onset Alz 2012 age 60

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living