Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH not "feeling well"

teresa123
teresa123 Member Posts: 7
First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about a year ago, but showed symptoms for several years. Like others, I was dismissed by physicians and nor believed by this children.

He is still pretty functional, but lately sleeps a lot. Says he "does not feel well" almost every day. I ask if stomach, headache etc. he does not know then says he is just tired. Every day. I have an appointment for him at primary dr, but know that is a pretty vague description to expect help with.

does anyone have anything similar they have done they?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Cranddi
    Cranddi Member Posts: 8
    5 Likes First Comment

I can relate to your comment that your husband "does not feel well". My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2021 and for the last several years that's all I get when something's wrong. After observing her for a while I can usually narrow it down a little after asking a few questions. I think taking him to the primary dr is the right thing to do. I suspect a full panel of blood work will be ordered to screen for any deficiencies.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi teresa, welcome to the forum. It's a place to start. I'm sure the doc will do bloodwork. I would think hard about medication side effects, as many of the dementia meds like Aricept and Namenda are poorly tolerated, and it can be very nonspecific. Apathy is also a big part of dementia in some individuals, as is vague anxiety and depression. These will all be things to be sorted out…

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more