Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH in the hospital for 3rd time in 10 months

Belle
Belle Member Posts: 117
Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

For the third time in less than a year DH has been admitted to the hospital for a skin infection. This time is the worst so far, I'll spare you the details but he's looking at at least 6 weeks with a wound vac. Since he has no clear cognitive impairment diagnosis in his records no one is listening to me about anything. I told both the surgeon and the patient advocate that he is under the care of a neurologist and is scheduled for his 4th round of neuropsych testing in August. I've told them he won't shower and nothing I do works at getting him in the shower. They know it's his 4th infection in 15 months.

I have repeatedly asked for a referral for in patient sub acute care when he's been released usually with an IV port for daily infusions but this time an IV port and a wound vac The last time I even hired a geriatric care manager and we were looking at temporary placement. The hospital refused to return our calls and then released him on a Sunday (I was home taking care of our dogs) and let him get in an uber to come home. And the shift nurses were constantly telling me he was not impaired because he could talk to them!

This time they are planning on releasing him to home with home health visiting every couple of days. I did mention I thought it wasn't a safe release but got ignored and I have nothing, such as a solid diagnosis of his cognitive issues, to back up why I think it's not a safe plan. You think someone would be questioning how he got 4 infections in such a short time or why he's getting another round of neurpsych tests or why he's getting annual MRI's of his brain, and so on. Sorry, just venting at this point but I'm tired and had to postpone my own diagnostic surgical procedure this week to deal with this latest crisis.

Comments

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Oh Belle … what a disaster! If the criteria for dementia was whether our spouses could talk to the medical staff or not, hardly anyone would have dementia according to them.
    Isn’t there someone higher up at the hospital that you can speak with? I feel your frustration, and I feel so bad that you have to deal with this.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Have you spoken to your husband's social worker or case manager? By any chance, could your husband be telling them that he wants to be discharged to home?

• ronda b
    ronda b Member Posts: 78
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

Is it possible for him to see his neurologist or a neurologist while in the hospital? Maybe they can give him a mini test to test his cognitive status so aleast it would be on file for social worker when being discharged

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 440
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Belle, this sounds like a terrible situation. I am sorry you are going through this. From the difficulty you are having, it sounds as if you don't have a power or attorney (health) in place. I would speak to an elder law attorney if you do not.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

I agree with everyone, this isn’t a good situation even the geriatric manager was frustrated last time. She told me she was convinced he would need professional caregiving within six months. I am going to try to track down a social worker tomorrow. That’s good advice and now I realize I haven’t seen them yet. And he very well could be saying he wants to go home too.

I do have all our legal documents in order but his healthcare POA only kicks in when two doctors declare him incompetent. About six months ago he scored in the low 20’s on the MMSE even after scoring terribly on two portions of the longer neuropsychiatric testing. I mean like one sub test score was zero and his overall score in that category has dropped by 50% in about 6 years. I don’t think the MMSE is going to help me here unfortunately. I was really hoping he’d show further decline in the August testing and they would finally give him some sort of diagnosis that sticks. Maybe because his cognitive issues are more in line with VD and he’s under 60 and his autoimmune disease can also cause neurological problems I think they just don’t see it.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Email someone at the hospital - social worker, ombudsman, etc. and state that it is a "serious patient safety issue" to discharge him again, and "under no circumstances should someone with cognitive impairment be sent home alone as before" (if it was this hospital). State that as spouse and primary caregiver you are repeating that it is "unsafe for him to be released to home at this time".

The written record often gets additional attention that our verbal pleas do not.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

This is good advice Belle, i would put in writing that you do not feel that he is safe for home discharge and i would push the doctors caring for him to sign the letters of incompetence.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I got my husband to shower 2x a week by telling him the doctor said he had to. I chose Wed & Sun. Then I got his shower all ready and told him it was Wednesday and his shower was ready. It worked! I read the book “The 36 Hour Day” that really helped me get him to shower. Put your concerns in writing to the hospital. Ask if they have a Patient Advocate.

• Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

would it be possible to get a durable medical POA signed by your DH? Seems like it would even be worth it to pay for the lawyer to come to the hospital and get it done. It would make your life so much easier. I think I am using the right term “durable”. You need a POA that doesn’t require 2 docs to declare him incompetent. You are in a tough position, I’m sorry.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I believe a durable medical power of attorney can allow you to act but it does not allow you to override his verbally expressed wishes. What he says is what will be done. My experience in NV and FL is that you would need to obtain guardianship even for a spouse.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,756
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

For some reason we all think that a hospital will be able to care for/watch over our loved one when they are in the hospital.

They just are not going to. Someone must be with the patient…sometimes 24/7.

• midge333
    midge333 Member Posts: 291
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Good luck! I hope everything comes together for you.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 796
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Keeping you in my prayers Belle.

• MN Chickadee
    MN Chickadee Member Posts: 871
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

What a difficult situation. It sounds like your course of action now is appropriate; you have done what you can and now you just have to wait. Many of us have had a situation in caregiving where we wish there was something we could do but in the end just have to wait for something to happen and trigger everything. One thing you may want to do now is research inpatient geriatric psych hospitals/facilities. When he does get released, whether he is at your home or a memory care facility, it sounds like eventually his obstinance may be an issue and he may need inpatient to get meds that stabilize his behavior and make care more possible. The care manager could help with that so you have a plan when you need it. It sure would be nice if the hospital would transfer him there now (many PWD end up there after a hospitalization for something else) but doesn't seem in the cards does it. Hang in there, thinking of you. I hope you get the care you need for your own health.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@Belle I am sorry this situation is so unusually difficult.

Your current plan to allow the other shoe to drop is what I was eventually worked in my situation. I'm just sorry it's come to that for you.

HB

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes it's awful and I'm sorry. I have to say i have yet to see any situation for which a springing POA was appropriate. I suppose the point is to prevent abuse and preserve independence, but they only seem to cause unnecessary difficulties.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more