Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hallucinations

I'm new to this group and hope to get some suggestions on how to handle this journey. My husband is 75 and I am 66. He was diagnosed with dementia over a year ago but there has been signs for 5-6 years. He's told me many times he sees old people at night and I just blew it off and told him they were probably ghosts since we built our house on an old homestead. Now, I know he's hallucinating and at this point he's angry at them. It scares the living daylights out of me and our dog. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. This is pretty common, and the content of the hallucinations is more often unpleasant than not. Antipsychotic medications can help, you should definitely call his doc asap. Seroquel and Risperdal are the two most commonly used, and both are old and cheap. Will help him sleep also.

• brooklynborn123
    brooklynborn123 Member Posts: 26
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

My wife was having similar hallucinations about a year ago. People at the foot of the bed, animals in the room, spiders coming down from the ceiling. The doctor prescribed seroquel. It worked really well. She started at 25 mg twice a day and then up to 50 mg twice a day. She almost never has hallucinations now.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more