Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Where to go from here?

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I don't post often anymore for my own mental health. DW is her 4th year of late stage 7 14 years from diagnosis. She is 72 and in memory care since 2017. Cost is $150,000 a year. We have it due to a lifetime of hard professional work. Most folks don't and I know that. We just gave out the national award honoring DWs achievements. My daughters presented it. I felt nothing but ashes. I have a good therapist and 5 wonderful grandchildren. I am not depressed in any medical sense. I travel , write papers , give lectures and enjoy the sunshine.
I even know that DW and I had more "good times" than most. Neither of us was ever in a hospital except for childbirth. We were always employed. DW was a fun girl.

I just go out at 2 am and scream at the universe

Comments

• RickM
    RickM Member Posts: 115
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

I’m sorry. I understand. My story is very similar. May we find strength and peace.

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My sincere condolences to you. Your situation is the worst case scenario to be sure. I hope you and your DW will find peace soon.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

So good to hear from you!

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Crushed, I cannot conceive how I will handle years of this. I cannot imagine how you have and are doing this. That being said, I am/was glad to see your post and know that you are ok (or as ok as one can be under the circumstances).

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Crushed, Although a sober update, I was glad to see your post. Your wisdom and counsel is missed here.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((@Crushed)))

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Crushed

I don’t know how you stand it. I know the first few years of your wife’s diagnosis were much different than the last few years. I cannot imagine having a totally non responsive spouse/parent for as long as you have. You must feel so drained, and so much in Limbo ( as a different poster commented in her own discussion).

• LJC43
    LJC43 Member Posts: 3
    Tenth Anniversary First Comment

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Dear Crushed; it is good to hear your voice. I am truly deeply sorry for all that has been and continues. With a hug for an old friend of this Forum,

J.

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Crushed, your wise words and wonderful recipes always kept me coming back to this forum. A road not fun to travel … , I wish peace for you and your family and your beautiful wife. I hope the universe screams back to you one day

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Crushed, I'm so glad for your update, because I'd been wondering about you and your wife.
    I'm not here as often as I was, either. It's just hard to keep walking this road, year after year. I'm happy you're still able to see your DW daily. You really had a wonderful marriage.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more