Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Guilty, Not Guilty

CindyBum
CindyBum Member Posts: 268
250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I sit here this morning, thinking about guilt.

My DW will maybe hop into a car with her sister tomorrow and drive up north to visit with her giant family over the 4th of July. DWs anxiety has really ramped up the last few months and travel gets her super anxious — she can't figure out dates, driving around curves scares her, she's worried she won't be able to speak — all the struggles a person with dementia has. So, she's been back and forth on going or not. And she keeps asking me to come so she won't be so anxious. I know my presence there won't change her anxiety in the slightest and her family does not like me..and the feeling is mutual. We've also added a stronger dose of Gabapentin and her anxiety is much reduced for now. The struggle to hold onto my need to get a respite like this now and again has been such a challenge. I've felt guilty about it, but have managed to hold onto the reality of my own needs to have time in my own home alone, where I can do whatever in the heck I want. I dream of working all day in the garden without my DW coming out and wanting me to come back in to sit with her to watch all the episodes for Friends again.

Last night, I realized I'm ready to pop a champagne cork the minute they pull out of the driveway in celebration of my respite. Perhaps I should, but I feel absolutely no guilt about having that feeling of wanting to celebrate. Boy, do I need this break.

Huge progress for me on both fronts. Still…please pray, cross your fingers, send me vibes or whatever that I get to watch their taillights head out of the driveway tomorrow morning!

xoxo

Comments

• marier
    marier Member Posts: 58
    Sixth Anniversary 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments

I understand about "popping the cork" to celebrate the beginning of your respite time! Totally get it! Sending you positive vibes and prayers that all goes well for your DW and you tomorrow.

• wose
    wose Member Posts: 137
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m praying so hard with my fingers crossed that you get to see those taillights. You are not asking for much and you are so entitled to a reprieve. Be kind to yourself.💜

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I am so jealous of you right now. Good for you. You deserve a break and to enjoy your life.

• JeriLynn66
    JeriLynn66 Member Posts: 795
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Sending prayers for your DW to have a willingness to travel, for safe travel, for rest for you. Good vibes for you both so that you both can enjoy your time. And big hugs.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Getting breaks should be a requirement for caregiving.

You might discuss having the PWD sit in the back seat. Alz+, one of our emeritus members, often posted about feeling flustered and disoriented while riding in the front seat, she thought the other cars were coming straight towards her. Probably this is because PWDs can no longer judge distances and motion.

Enjoy your respite! You are depleted, you need to build your "self" back up.

Iris

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Enjoy!!!

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@CindyBum , I so hope you get your respite and enjoy every minute. When myDH first started daycare, I used to run all over the place. Now I relish those few hours twice a week just to sit in my calm and peaceful home. Pop that cork and enjoy!

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

I hope you get your respite. You need it.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

You may want to think ahead about how to avoid a meltdown Cindy. I know you're going to be bitterly disappointed if she won't get in the car. Not to be Debbie Downer, but I've been burned so many times by expecting too much...any chance you can ally with this sister?

• RayeMc
    RayeMc Member Posts: 22
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

We are all rooting for you! Please let us know if you got to pop that cork!! (I'll be green with envy but happy for you!)

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks, M1. I hear you. It's good to keep expectations reasonable.

I have the sister and one of her nieces as allies in this, so that's good. I have been able over this past year to build those allies. It's one of the benefits of my DW having 5 siblings and 14 niece and nephews. If one doesn't work out, I've moved on until I found these two.

Still…fingers crossed!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

You deserve the break, your wife deserves to see her big family and her family needs to see her before she declines further. So there is nothing for you to feel guilty about.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Cheers!

FWIW, I am a liquid Melatonin fan. It took the edge off for DH many times for temporary situations where I needed him to feel comfortable and just cooperate. It causes no interference with his regular med routine, and slipped into his juice or water made him relax in just 2-3 minutes. See if your Dr. can recommend a dosage to try, as the 3mgs on the bottle did nothing. 10 mg made him chill, still alert after maybe a 10 minute cat-nap, but if needed the sister might be glad to have it in the back pocket if needed.

Your DW may be calmer but not sedated with a lower amount, and having that as a backup for travel days or other high anxiety situations might help. Just don't give too much unless you plan to carry her to the car and put her in it (which it sounds like you are ready to do!!!) I hear you!!! Enjoy!!!

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I am sitting here hoping you pull this off today.

But I think the bigger piece is that you should try to put a plan of regular respite, the promise of which can sustain you the hard days, in place. It might be a day program a couple times a week if you need the "peace in my own home" or a companion/aide if it's more reliably accepted while you go out.

HB

• frankay
    frankay Member Posts: 37
    10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Oh my, that feeling of guilt. I'm starting my 8th year of this long journey. Guilt has become a part of my life. It will happen over and over. CindyBum - enjoy your respite while you can - there will be many more opportunities to feel guilty. Take times of peace, relaxaation and calm when they are offered.

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I'm so happy for you!

• wose

YAY!!!🥳 Now, time for you.💜

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Cindybum- enjoy your much deserved reprieve. So happy for you.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So thrilled for you that you're getting to do this. And remember, I'm sure your DW appreciates the family time as much as she is able. Win-win!

• fmb
    fmb Member Posts: 350
    100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

So happy for you both!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@CindyBum

A win-win. Enjoy the rest of your staycation

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Yea!!!!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

great news. Makes me wonder: would she be happier living with another family member? Would you? Hard question I know. I just wish there was someone there who could take some of the burden off of you.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

WooHoo! Respite is really a game changer and gives you strength for the next leg of the journey. So glad they are keeping you posted on the highlights and it sounds like they are handling any negative dementia issues OK.

That is great news! If I were you, I'd be planning the next staycation or getaway as soon as she gets back 😁A regular respite schedule will help so much. Your break sounds heavenly!

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

So happy you both got a "win". And an even greater win might be (for you and her family at least) the pleasant memories of this time that you are making. IME, respite enabled me to keep on for far longer than I otherwise would have.

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

This was the best comment to wake up to this morning. I’m very happy for you that everything worked out perfectly. Your description of what you have been doing sounded heavenly.

• LJCHR
    LJCHR Member Posts: 192
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

This is wonderful news. She was having a great time and that gave you full permission to enjoy your time with no guilt. So happy for both of you.

• wose

I just saw the taillights. It’s only for 4 or 5 hours, but the feeling of relief is indescribable💜

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more