Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Help!!! I need RESPITE for a week anywhere San Diego!!!

Yaquigirl
Yaquigirl Member Posts: 1 Member
edited July 3 in Caring for a Parent

Well I had thought PACE was going to set up care for my mom so I can attend a work conference. I am on the verge of losing my job since my mother moved in last October. I have missed several conferences and this one is mandatory. Anyone know of any respite care that will take a dementia woman for a week. Anywhere in San Diego County???

I cannot even get one day to myself. I feel like a prisoner in my own home. She only gots to PACE day program and is dropped off when I get home from work. I need to go to this conference. Help!

Tagged:

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,702
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry to hear this. I may be spitting in the wind, but does your workplace have an employee assistance program that you could appeal to? Perhaps they could either help you find emergency respite, or relieve you of the mandatory attendance requirement. This day and age almost all continuing education etc. Can be done online so it's hard to argue for mandatory attendance…at just about anything.

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 434
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Yaquigirl,

Try calling the Alzheimer's support line and also check for assisted living and memory care facilities in your area. I would think most would offer respite but can't be sure.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more