Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to make time for calls etc. that involve talking about his dementia when he's always listening.

Hi there. My DH has dementia and I"m finding it difficult to make arrangments / schedule appointments and give those people background information on what is going on when my DH is always within earshot. He is usualy glued to my side.

I feel guilty making up an excuse to get out of the house to make calls or even to start going to regular support group for myself as a caregiver.

He's still in the early stages and pretty much capable of taking care of himself, but does not see things other than forgetting words and being a bit slower with some things. "That's just what happens when you get old. You slow down." He doesn't want to talk about the dementia - feels that I focus only on that and he wants to enjoy life.

How do others go about getting such things done - or even telling friends and family about it when he doesnt' want to tell anyone.

So tired . . .

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Ditto everything M1 said. Do not discuss dementia with him.

Also, I agree with your LO: don't focus only on dementia, this is the time to enjoy life. Not to put your head in the sand, but to get your collective affairs in order and to do your Bucket List now, if this is on your mind. Find fulfillment wherever you can.

Iris

• sfrsythe
    sfrsythe Member Posts: 9
    5 Care Reactions First Comment

Boy is this a big struggle of mine right now too! I have a mental illness I’m already on disability from and now I find myself just feeling in knots inside and brokenhearted it’s tough on me. My DH has been diagnosed with moderate dementia about two months ago now. Answers lots of weird comments and things that were happening. How am I supposed to take care of the two of us? I don’t have much if any support around. How am I supposed to do this too?

• Jgirl57
    Jgirl57 Member Posts: 467
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

You are correct ! It is very difficult in the early stages of getting ducks in a row when your loved is within earshot and still understands some things . I would often go to the ladies room when we were at a store /library to make phone calls . For detailed matters I would ask for an email contact . Slowly but surely you will figure out a way .

• jsps139_
    jsps139_ Member Posts: 171
    100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

I have always taken care of phone calls while he is in the shower. I am fortunate that it takes him over an hour to get everything ready and take his shower, so that gives me plenty of time.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

DH loves music so I often would put on his favorite either via YouTube or a radio/cd player on the side table. Or put a movie on that I know he likes. Then I'd step into the other room to take or make a call if needed.

Today, I am wondering if maybe you could get your LO to wear earbuds or headphones long enough to listen to something on a laptop, tablet, or phone? With a (long) playlist and/or movie to accomplish the same thing. Even if you are in the very next room but in eyesight in case he needs to be monitored as my DH has always had to be, he wouldn't be able to hear the details of your discussion.

I agree with the members above. Follow their advice and try to shake off the guilt. We do what we must do FOR them, not TO them. Dementia is to blame. Not you. And after taking care of the legal matters, please do travel, enjoy each other in any way you both had planned (or choose to now even on a whim) before time runs out. Sorry to put it that way, but… there is a way to get through this and survive your LO's disease. It requires a brain shift for you/us, not our PWD LOs. I am still working on it! But you can do it. And we all help each other.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more