Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

When to stop ?

JC5
JC5 Member Posts: 164
100 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments

Doctor says “Keep him active, mentally and socially. Keep him involved etc.” Well I’ve been doing this . Writing to do lists ( 2-3 things), trying to have conversations with him, asking for his advice opinion help. But now he gets annoyed when I ask him to do something or says I will and doesn’t do it. Then he complains he is bored. In the meantime I’m running around doing it all! Think it’s time to stop expecting his help. I know the movement and activity would be good for him but he just doesn’t want to do it or just can’t process it. I hate this !

Comments

• ​fesk
    ​fesk Member Posts: 439
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Approximately, what stage is he in? Can you modify some things so he can still assist. My mother progressed slowly for a long time. I tried to keep her as involved as possible for as long as possible. I would modify tasks as needed as she progressed allowing her to do what she was capable of. Now she is pretty much past the point of being able to do anything meaningful, so instead of participating, I keep her with me so she can see and I talk to her about what's going on.

If he is getting agitated, it is not worth continuing. You can try modifying or, if he is now past that point, stop. A day program as M1 mentioned could be a good way to keep him engaged and provide some socialization.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

Yes, there comes a time you just have to let go. I don't think any expert has a turnkey solution for every PWD.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The key is to find failure-free activities on his level. There is a book by that name. PWD have trouble making decisions and initiating activities, so you will have to start him off, perhaps even stand by. Perhaps hire a companion/"friend" for a few hours? Or adult day care center?

Iris

• tucson anne
    tucson anne Member Posts: 24
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

At some point they can't do much of anything. My DH tries to unload the silverware from the dishwasher but puts it in the wrong spot (I don't correct); he can still hang out laundry but sorting? No way. Very specific yard work (rake right there, put it in that trash can) but I'm the overseer. It entertains briefly but doesn't help me. Most of the time, there is nothing for him to do. And there's no day program despite a metro area of over a million…Plus he doesn't do crafts anyway (tried that at one activity designed for people with Alzheimers. I'm just waiting for him to get to the point where he just stares into space all the time…

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

I feel like this advice comes for a place of the medical community having very little to offer to PWD and those who care for them.

IME, success in this enterprise is going to be very dependent on the personality and presentation of dementia. With my dad, we were up against both apathy and his baked-in notion of most tasks being women’s work and beneath his dignity. This left him fretful and bored.

My friend’s mom was used to being busy. She would fuss about the kitchen wiping or sweeping and she would knit in the evenings until the later stages. After she went to bed, friend would unravel her work so she could knit some more the next day.

My aunt enjoyed the activities and outings at her MCF. Prior to his death, her husband encouraged her to do the crossword to exercise her brain. After she went to MC, we cleaned out her home and found years of puzzles in various states of completion. She has a 12’ long closet filled top to bottom with grocery sacks filled with cut-out NYT crosswords. Those in the back were mostly done, at the bottom of the front row they were partially finished and the ones on top were empty. Some of the empty ones were just grids without clues. So much for exercising the brain.

If you can find a day program or companion to entertain him, great. But don’t feel you’ve failed in some way if you can’t make it happen.

HB

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Agree with the others - stop trying to be the activity director. As my DH declined, we just did what he was interested in and I followed. We walked (oh my, did we walk. So much walking.) He collected rocks. At first it was just pretty rocks he saw as we walked, later it was rocks anywhere from baseball to basketball size. We live across from acres and acres of farm field. There are tons of rocks around my house that he collected. But it kept him busy.
    Later, as his decline continued, it was sweeping. He'd go out and sweep off our driveway and porch for hours.

• annie51
    annie51 Member Posts: 127
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

So many great comments. I have wrestled with this same question for some time now. I'm still trying to be cruise director and captain both, but not because I necessarily believe that keeping DH engaged slows the decline. It's more so to distract him from the things he obsesses about when he has nothing to do. I try to do the things he suggests doing or try to make suggestions to see if he's interested. I'm getting used to the constant shadowing and tell him "I'm going into the garage" or "I'm going to put my shoes away" instead of just going out of the room and have him come look for me. He will usually follow me now. And lately he asks me what I'm doing - for instance, if I'm looking up something on my phone. So instead of blowing it off, I answer him and I think he appreciates that. We do whatever works!

• JudyVE
    JudyVE Member Posts: 10
    First Anniversary First Comment

I agree with the person who said you can’t be the Cruise Director and also be the Captain of the ship! It’s exhausting. You are already running a household on your own where formerly you had a partner. I am fortunate to have LTC insurance, and am able to have home care aides come to my home. So far I do this about 16 hours a week and am planning to increase that in the fall. I leave ideas for the aides re: things that might engage my DH: jigsaw puzzles (he pretty much just watches). Magazines (National geographic with lots of great photos. He no longer reads). Walks, birdwatching in our yard. Music. Podcasts. And finally, TV. I say finally, b/c the TV was never on in our house until evening news (except for weekend golf ). Sports preferably, but he has a favorite sitcom that he loves, and we have seen ALL the episodes many times. He can help me with really simple tasks, but needs close supervision, so it’s not “helpful”. My DH has become increasingly unsteady on his feet so asking him to help carry shopping bags or laundry or anything else is just not safe. So, my advice to you JC5 is - let it go. If you can, get others to help fill the “cruise director” position for a few hours a week. Good Luck.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Yep. I think they advise these types of things because they don’t know what else to say. Some are truly clueless. We had a geriatric PCP early on who advised tapering off the Risperidone that a hospital psychiatrist put him on and use aromatherapy instead. She also told me to always make sure I had a smile on my face when I was around him. This was in the stage where he was repeating the same questions every 2 minutes or so for hours and hours and I was ready to go stark raving mad! It got even worse as the Risperidone was reduced. Needless to say we went back to the hospital psychiatrist’s advice with medication. We did the things he liked to do, like go for rides with me, some walking, and watching Gilligan’s Island on tv so many times that I almost know the script of the whole series by heart!

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

@ImMaggieMae , that’s so funny. My DH likes Gilligan’s Island, too. It is one of the few shows that interests him!

• howhale
    howhale Member Posts: 17
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So much of this thread hits home. Seven years into this horror since her MCI diagnosis. Latest assessment (by myself and the caregiver) suggests she is now in stage 6. She has sundowning symptoms that begin in the early afternoon, well before sundown. That was one of my first clues that most doctors and others really do not know the realities of this condition. Because it started so early in the day, it could not be sundown symptoms. Of course they could provide no better explanation. Doctors, family, friends know what they read or hear from the "experts" and much of it is so misleading. My wife represents bits and pieces of every article, book, consultation, etc. I have ever found, and I have researched it quite a lot, just like most here have. I understand that what is published as research data is but an average of all the experiences observed. This forum has proven to be the most reliable source of information. I have encouraged my family to register and take the time to read examples of the threads here if they really want to know what this life is all about. I especially encourage my children to so so as I suspect they will be burdened at some point with providing the care for their mother. I do not want them to be shocked at the reality of her life or think I have in some way tried to mislead or shield them from the truth. I find that most others do not want to hear the truth. Reminds me of the Jack Nicholson statement in the movie. Finding others who are or have lived this horror with whom to talk is difficult but I have found it is only those who can have meaningful conversation, not just about the disease but life in general. Thus, this forum becomes a lifeline. The care giver and myself have tried so many ways to get my wife engaged into any activity to help with out success. As the evening advances each day, she begins to ask "what are we going to do today?" When I ask what she would like, she is unable to offer any ideas and becomes angry at me for not having plans. When I have tried to take her with me to the grocery store or even to a restaurant, each attempt has met with failure. Either she begins to panic to get back home in the middle of shopping or as we approach the restaurant, she insists she cannot eat because "she now does not feel well" and needs to go home. The caregiver is very helpful for the 4 hours a day she comes 3 or 4 days a week. But, even there, after about 3 hours or so, my wife begins to become much less engaged. So, each day is a surprise, and not usually a good one. But then, as evening advances, she gets tired, must sit close to me and hold my hand or arm and profess how much she loves me, how much I do for her and begs me to not leave her alone and my heart breaks and my guilt overwhelms me as i recall those times today when I could barely control my emotions in a bad outburst. And so it goes.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

PWD on the outside may appear to be the same, but they actually are ill and declining. Suggestions:

1. Avoid asking questions. PWDs don't have answers. They can't answer questions.
    2. Limit outings to two hours or even much less. PWDs tire easily.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney