Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ambulance ride alone?

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I've been thinking that another fall from a standing position is imminent with a serious injury. I hate those 1am calls that she fell out of bed again but what really concerns me is her falling standing up. If she breaks something or is seriously injured and an ambulance is called, she will be terrified being alone without a familiar face.
Has anyone had one of the staff or aides go with their LO to the hospital until you can get there? She won't be able to answer any questions whatsoever.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Mom and my now deceased step-dad have been sent to the ER by ambulance from the AL multiple times. The staff does not go with them. However they talk to the paramedics and they also send a packet with them to the ER with their list of medications and other medical and contact info- including copies of medical POAs. I get a call from the AL as soon as they’ve called the ambulance. I live closer to the hospital than the AL is, so I’ve often beaten the ambulance there. Sometimes I was allowed back as soon as they were brought in, other times I had to wait until they were situated and had been given a covid test

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 6

Ghphotog, is your DW on hospice? One of the reasons we did it was so that she won’t be transported to the ER with every mishap-even a serious head injury I wouldn’t transport her. The only thing I would have her transported for is a broken hip, as that would likely need stabilization for pain management.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more