Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Neuro/pyschiatrist test

ronda b
ronda b Member Posts: 78
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

DH was tested late January early February. Still waiting for results to be sent to neurologist and myself. We did have a quick meeting which he explain Dh had had moderate alz. But nothing since then. Is this normal?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

No that is not normal, that is an unacceptable delay in communication. It may not make a clinical difference if your DH is not a candidate for medication, but in my mind it's very poor practice. I'd be the squeaky wheel with this neurologist and ask for a referral to a geriatric psychiatrist for future reference.

• Belle
    Belle Member Posts: 117
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

DH has been tested 3 times already with the 4th test scheduled for next month. The first 2 times were at a private clinic where after we had the meeting to discuss the results we were handed the very, very detailed results and recommendations for any follow ups needed.

The 3rd time he was tested by the VA and we had the meeting with the neurpsych and she documented he had neurocognitive disorder then told us we'd be hearing from the neurologist. We met with the neurologist and he said DH did not have neurocognitive disorder. What? How did the diagnosis change, he had real deficits in testing? Since I was very obviously confused at the reversal of the original diagnosis I asked for the detailed test results. Crickets. So I asked again and again and again. After 18 months and 7 requests we finally got them. The results included recommendations to follow up with a cardiologist and to get more testing for tremors and for 18 months we didn't do any of that because we didn't have the results.

It should never be that hard to get test results and you should have a copy of them. Keep at them until they give them to you.

• CindyBum
    CindyBum Member Posts: 268
    250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

That’s not right. Both times my DW had testing done by a neurologist, we had the full report in a week.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

my step-dad had the 2.5 hours testing done by a neuropsychologist. We had a meeting to get the results a couple months later. Several pages of documents along with the diagnosis. There was no further follow/up with this doctor as he only does testing. The documents included recommendations. I then scheduled a visit with a neurologist but my step/dad kept refusing to go. I must have rescheduled it at least twice, and then he passed away

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more