Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caring for a healthy Spouse

Karl38
Karl38 Member Posts: 15
Third Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

My wife has Alzheimer's, 84 years old with a history of ALZ for 5-6 years. Her memory and cognitive skills are almost gone. She is totally dependent on me for daily living. She takes care of her personal needs. Otherwise she is very healthy. Can handle many tasks given close supervision. Even mows the lawn. She thinks she is normal. She doesn't realize she is being taken care of.

I'm now making major decisions about our housing and her care if I become ill (I am 85 and also in good heath). How long can this go on? Timeframes are very important now. Any advice from others who have been here would be helpful.

Comments

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 835
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 10

Hi Karl,

I am attaching a guide that may give you some ideas of the progression and an estimate of time in each stage, but every patient is different. I hope this can be of help.

• Sunnyside42
    Sunnyside42 Member Posts: 42
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Karl,

Your email resonates with me at the moment. My DH is about the same as your DW. He is 86 and in reasonably good physical help. Does a lot of chores (but with an eye on him…otherwise he might pick something besides weeds. He was diagnosed in 2021 and remains easy and pleasant except for an occasional bout of anxiety. I am 81 and figured to be in excellent health. However, after a colonoscopy last week, I now find out I have a mass that is cancerous. Have appointment next week with surgeon. So there you are! The lurking fear that has become a reality. If you can make some move now that would work should something happen to you, it would be wise. We don’t know what is around the bend, and this kick in the pants proves it. I wish you luck and good fortune going forward.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

start planning now. You never know what will happen. Things can change quickly.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more