Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New diagnosis

Spackle
Spackle Member Posts: 1 Member

Hello,my husband has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and dementia.I am struggling to accept that this is all happening.I had a wonderful career as a Nurse for 47 years and had to leave.My husband doesn't have any friends and his family don't live close so I feel that everything has fallen on my shoulders and I'm frightened for his future,and also if I will cope as I never want to have him put into care.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum, you have come to a good place for advice and support. Look to the right under Quick Links and Groups, and there is one for new members with a lot of useful information. Early advice always starts with getting your legal affairs in order and taking a careful look at your finances as you start your planning for the future. Memory care is an expensive proposition. Even if you want to care for him at home (most start out that way), a wise member here recently said that you need to make a plan, not a wish, including backup plans should something happen to you. This is especially important if there is not other family to step in. Unless you can afford to pay privately for memory care you should investigate how to qualify him for long-term Medicaid in your state; a certified elder law attorney can help with that (look at nelf.org to find lists by location).

If you read a lot of threads here you will learn much, including things you haven't thought of yet, and it will help you feel less alone in this long and difficult journey.

• Rocky2
    Rocky2 Member Posts: 133
    100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes First Anniversary

Spackle, Welcome to the forum and sorry for the reason you are here. I trust that you will find this to be a place to learn by reading the many and various posts, to seek information and advice, and to post your thoughts, or maybe just vent. I know I have found understanding, received good advice and have been educated and supported. This journey can be isolating and hard. Know that you are not alone but, rather, part of a community of caregivers.

Tom

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney