Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not My Home

ClarkEb
ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

Each evening after dinner, y LO Ned’s to go home for a wide variety and very creative list of reasons. Redirection or distraction does not work, it only delays the request until after…our daughters will come visit about the time we finish diner and as soon as we are done with the visit, she will request to go home. Most are uneventful. Lately there has been an increase in “this is not my home” when we arrive. At times i might try “this is our home” but that only leads into a discussion of when i sold the old home and why wasn’t she includes etc. so i was thinking maybe this was due to where she is mentally. Maybe thinking “home” is where she is in her mind. She/we have lived in a few different places….So i have asked where we are going when we get in the car. With out fail it is the town where we live. So much for that idea. And we go for another ride, and another ride and all of a sudden she will start giving me driving directions to the house or will be so tired we are able to make it home.

Comments

• easy23
    easy23 Member Posts: 200
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I go through the same thing with my husband. I wish I knew what the answer is. Hang in there!

• ClarkEb
    ClarkEb Member Posts: 51
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary

it occurred to me the other night as we were sitting in the driv way. If a pwd does not recognize family pets house things in and around the house (i our case we have the outhouse her grandfather built and is the center of any conversation she has with anyone when outside) how can i convince them to go into the house. If successful, once in the house there is a 50/50 chance of rejection, to many people, not my stuff, etc. i have tried to interfere with her leaving and thing escalated to a very uncomfortable level. Some times fatigue sets in after a few trips, but once i bed, she will come out totally refreshed, like she has 5 hour drinks stacked in the bedroom. This is one of the things it is so hard to manage, the last thing i need is her making good o her threat to walk “where is the highway”..

Thanks for listening…..

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney