Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My partner and her head

Hello there I’m new to this world of TBI and 19 years later I’m faced with my partner who has not been diagnosed yet but I’m seeing some major changes in her behavior especially over the last month and a half. Just a little back story in 2005 she fell down a flight of stairs and cracked her skull had 3 brain bleeds. Fast forward to 2024 and she has fallen and hit her head 5 times in the past 5 years. And no ER visits. For a month and a half she has been taking Vraylar. Her psychiatrist put her on it to maybe boost her mood. She suffers from headaches daily and she is showing signs of dementia. I have been with her for 13 years and she’s has totally changed with her mind and it has been very prevalent for the past month and a half. I’m not sleeping or eating much I have no appetite. I’m just trying to figure out what to do day by day.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Welcome to the forum. TBI is a less common cause of dementia but not unheard of. however i wonder if the Vraylar could be making her worse, i would definitely report your concerns to her docs. I know Abilify can cause headaches and wouldn't be surprised if Vraylar does also, would have to look it up.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

The early signs of dementia can be very subtle.

Did she go to the ER following the last 5 falls?

If the change has been sudden, did it start with the new med? Has she been checked for a UTI?

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    edited July 13

One cannot make a diagnosis of dementia without investigating all other possible causes of the signs one is concerned with. Repeated head trauma is a cause of decreased cognition. The course may not be progressive, like Alzheimer's Disease, but may be cumulative. Psychoactive medications cause side effects in addition to the intended effect. And yes, check for UTI.

Iris

• allit
    allit Member Posts: 82
    10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

I’ve recently read the section on TBI in this report. My wife has had multiple and now diagnosed with MCI with Alzheimer’s pathology.

https://www.thelancet.com/article/S0140-6736(20)30367-6/fulltext

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney