Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

TIME TO HIDE THINGS

DH thinks he is being helpful, but he's not. Today he put my computer somewhere??? and my headphones too. I was out for a couple of hours and when I came home they were missing. He managed to walk out with my computer, but my headphones are still missing. He thought I would want to put my computer away somewhere else and I'm guessing he thought my headphones should be put away too, but who knows where anything is.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Yes definitely time to start locking things away. It happened here too- with medications, papers, wallets, purses. Never a computer. After two years in memory care i still occasionally find things in odd places. Sad, and not reversible. This is part of what can make you feel like a stranger in your own home- your possessions are not safe, and it's sad and frustrating. There's no real predicting what might be taken, unfortunately.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Sounds familiar. DW went thru a similar phase during the earlier years of her journey. All sorts of things went missing - the worst case was our car keys. It was impossible to watch her every minute so there was not much to be done about it. Eventually that behavior just faded away on its own. I don't remember it lasting very long, and looking back, that was one of the least troubling behaviors of this long journey. Understand and sympathize with your frustration.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

oh ya, I play hide and seek all the time, though I've managed to hide all the remotes, phones etc., still finding stuff in the dresser drawers, hamper, stuffed in couch cushions, sine, OH it goes on and on. Still remember the nasty half-eaten sandwich stinking behind the couch cushion for a week, my personal favorite. Been going on so many years now, gotten used to it and marvel at all the hiding spots DW finds. '}

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I find it’s mostly my stuff or small decorative items that disappear or get moved when I am out of the house. So far I haven’t lost something completely until recently. For the life of me I can’t find one serving bowl out of a set of 4. Nowhere. Had it 5 days ago. I’m thinking it either got broken or he tossed it.

• mathreader
    mathreader Member Posts: 44
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Likes

What I have noticed, thankfully, is that whatever I'm going through, others have been there or are there now too. Thanks for sympathizing with me!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more