Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question about using Depends

LaneyG
LaneyG Member Posts: 164
100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

DH as has had only a couple of accidents related to incontinence. But it really upset him. No knowing what the recurrence would be I suggested Depends or the underwear inserts. He said no way. I just ordered them and snuck them in. When he had another accident, I showed them to him. Now he loves them and wants to wear them constantly day and night. Thing is I’m not sure he needs them around the clock yet. Accidents have been at night. One during the day when poor guy had difficulty finding the restroom. And I have to convince him to put on a fresh pair. Is it ok to reuse 1 or 2 times if haven’t been soiled??? Should I consider myself lucky he is willing to wear them? I find myself thinking that it should be up to him if it makes him feel more secure. It just seems so wasteful.

Comments

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I would let him wear them. It may be more difficult to get him to later on.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

In my opinion this is one of the most difficult transitions to make - from normal toileting to incontinence. You have already won the battle if he is willing to wear them. I wouldn't back off because the transition from accidents to full incontinence may not last long - at least it didn't in DW case.

• AnderK
    AnderK Member Posts: 123
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Let him wear them. Suggest a routine change so that is what he gets used to, like 3 times a day. So that when his incontinence gets worse. It is routine to change.

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Thank you for this post. We're heading down the same path…soon.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes

@LaneyG Incontinence products should be changed if wet or soiled to avoid UTIs and skin breakdown. When worn "as underwear" should they not get wet or soiled, they should be changed daily as you would a traditional undergarment.

HB

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Yes, ok to use them if not soiled, I do. Yes, definitely support him wearing them if he wants to, you're lucky on that one! Don't worry about being "wasteful", its not, these depends on seem to serve a great purpose in making him feel secure and comfortable, that's wonderful, so no waste there at all.

• LaneyG
    LaneyG Member Posts: 164
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia