Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DW scared me today

Crkddy
Crkddy Member Posts: 84
Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I was shocked to my core today. DW is late stage 6 or early 7 - 6 1/2 years since EO diagnosis. This morning when I got her out of bed, her facial expression said it all - she was lost and terrified. DW has been in a relative calm stage of over the last year, so this was a sudden change. And I couldn't reach her. After about 30 minutes of calling her name, holding her, stroking her, and telling her she was ok, she finally snapped out of it and was back to her "normal".

Do you think this was just a one off, or a sign that something is changing?

Comments

• ghphotog
    ghphotog Member Posts: 667
    500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Don't think there's any way to know for sure. I'm sure you've heard and have thought of this but any sudden drastic changes can be suspicious for UTI or some other health issue. It's possible she just took the next step down and could be a new behavior if you will. I would check for fever possibly or a new medication perhaps.

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Thanks FTD, sounds like a difficult and unpredictable time for you and your wife. What an emotional roller coaster this journey is. Hang in there. Wishing you the best.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more