Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In home care for DH

Maggie M
Maggie M Member Posts: 11
Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I am caring for my DH and finding it harder by the day. DH is incontinent at night, which means changing clothes, sometimes bedding, anyone else out there have the same issue. Sometimes twice a night. He wears depends and an inner pad. Because of being up with him, I am exhausted, as I am tge sole caregiver at night. Anyone in the same position?

Comments

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Maggie M, I'm so sorry you and you DH are going thru this. My DW is also incontinent and has been for almost two years. I'm sure I don't understand your specific issues. I leave DW in bed until it is time for her to get up in the morning. Many mornings she has soaked thru her diaper pants, and her clothes are damp. I keep a pad on the bed to prevent the sheets from getting wet. I sleep in another bedroom. This routine allows me to get sleep and maintain my sanity.

• Maggie M

Thanks for your response Crkddy. I should have added more on my post ( this is my first time). My DH has dementia and Parkinisim. Most of the time he sleeps through the whole night ( we sleep in the same bed) and when he wakes I change him. I do have a waterproof mattress cover, a plastic sheet and quilted waterproof mats. Sometimes he is up every 1-2 hrs to pee. I never know what my night will bring. He sometimes has trouble getting up so I feel more comfortable being in the same bed. I just put an alarm on the door to make sure I hear him. I do like the idea of sleeping in another bedroom , it might be worth a try.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi Maggie, my situation is very similar to Crkddy, waterproof mattress pad, absorbent pads and adult pullups for DW, I sleep in another room but have a camera w/sound positioned on her bed in her room via wifi and can see/hear her as she sleeps. Sometimes she gets up and needs changing, but often she sleeps straight through even if she wets. Manage to get some good sleep.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Welcome to the forum, Maggie. My DH has been incontinent for about 2-1/2 years. We used to sleep I the same bed but he can no longer climb the long staircase to our upstairs bedroom. So I rented a hospital bed (he also needs to sleep with his head raised) so we sleep downstairs in the great room. I sleep on the sofa, perpendicular to the hospital bed, so my head is just a couple of feet from his. He is late stage 6/early 7. Here’s what we do to keep things dry:

We use a good quality pair of soft comfortable pull-ups and add a heavy duty pad to the inside. The pad is a thick one, the type designed for women after childbirth. It has a sticky backing that keeps it in place in the pull-up. If we check every couple hours hurting the day, we can often replace just the pad. At night I poke about 5 little holes in the sticky backing of the pad before placing it in the pull-up. That way, when the pad gets saturated it leaks down into the pull-up where it is absorbed, rather than over the sides.

We use large washable soft pad that has a moisture proof barrier in it on the bed. On top of that we use an extra large puppy pee pad. We usually have a couple wet spots on the pee pad in the morning, but not often on the washable pad. In the 2+ years of urinary incontinence, we’ve never had it reach the fitted bed sheet. My DH sleeps on his back and barely moves during the night so that probably helps. He also sleeps all night. Hope this helps.

• Maggie M

Maggie Mae, thank you for the great idea. I also use an inside pad at night as well as pee pads and an waterproof pad for my DH but it sounds like your pad would be better. Where do you purchase them? I am sorry for your situation, it is an awful journey, none of us asked for.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more