Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Caregiver costs

Maggie M
Maggie M Member Posts: 11
Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions First Comment

I am at the stage with my DH that I may be needing care during the night so I can get sleep. Due to the cost of caregivers for 12 hrs, it is cost prohibitive. Any ideas?

Comments

• Crkddy
    Crkddy Member Posts: 84
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Maggie M, I have never checked into the cost of nighttime care. I do pay for care during the daytime, but not all day. It can vary depending upon whether you use a service or contractor, and of course the difference in what these folks choose to charge. In my area, contractor charges seem to start around $18/hr. I currently pay $26/hr for a CNA 2 thru a service. I do hope you are able to find some relief.

• Maggie M

Crkddy, I have 16 hrs, 4 days-4 hrs in the am , through the VA as my husband is a veteran. I am blessed for that. There is mo charge for that. I have 3 hrs thru our local elderly services at $31 an hr ( that is a discount). They are all CNA's. I haven't called an agency to find out how much an hour for a night (12 hrs) but would assume it would be $35 an hr and up. If he wasn't incontinent, one of children could stay with him. It's just so darn difficult and won't get ant easier.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Another Maggie! Welcome to the forum. We have a caregiver through an agency who I pay for some respite time to do grocery shopping, medical appointments and paying bills and such. It is $35 hr, 3 days per week, 4 hours each day (which is their minimum). Typical rates in this area using an agency are about $35 to $45 per hour.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 878
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

have you talked to his doctor about medication to help him sleep?

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,010
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Maggie M, definitely talk to his doctor about medications to help with sleep. My DH takes Risperidone and sleeps at least 9 hours.

• Judy.T.
    Judy.T. Member Posts: 44
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Our town's council on aging gives vouchers $800 ever 6 months for care. Check what your town offers if anything. Also DH has insurance that gives me 8 hours a month of in house care.

• Maggie M

Thanks Judy T. will definitely look into that.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more