Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hospitalization for agitation-round 3

As some of you know, my DH spent much of last month hospitalized for aggressive behavior at his memory care. He spent a month at 2 different Geri psych hospital units, with a four-day break at his memory care between hospitalizations. This time he made it two weeks before getting sent out of his memory care for taking a swing at two residents.

At his last Geri-psych, he was switched from Seroquel to Risperidone. That seemed to tone down the aggression, but this past week it started ramping up again. We’re trying a new hospital. The good news is it has a Geri-psych unit that doesn’t turf you back to the memory care ASAP. The bad news is it only has 9 beds.

After a day and a half in the ER, my DH got a medical bed. They haven’t said whether he’s going to Geri-psych. They upped his Risperidone .5 mg. Yesterday afternoon he got very agitated, and for the first time, threatened me. They gave him an injection of Zyprexa, which seemed to help.

His current med regimen doesn’t seem to be working well, but they mainly seem concerned about over-medicating him. He doesn’t seem that sedated to me, and I’m more concerned about tamping down his aggression. If I can’t get a handle on it, he could lose his placement.

Today I stayed with him for three hours, but then came home. It doesn’t seem as though they’re taking his behavior seriously, so I wanted them to see how he is without me mediating. Hope that wasn’t a mistake.

I guess I’m mainly venting as I feel very discouraged about finding a solution to his aggression. Thanks for listening!

Comments

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I’m so sorry for you. While reading this, I can’t imagine what you are going through and the responses from the medical field. We rely on them to be knowledgeable and to help. It’s very difficult to be dismissed or ignored especially when it comes to aggression issues like you have had to deal with.

• clarinetist
    clarinetist Member Posts: 132
    100 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you, housefinch. My DH has told me that he hates feeling anxious and out-of-control, and has asked me for medication to help him. Like you I would rather see him be too sedated than not sedated enough.

• clarinetist

Thanks , trottingalong. I do feel dismissed, but I guess I’m going to have to speak up more, for both our sakes.

• clarinetist

Thanks, ButterflyWings, for your support. I was able to get caught up this afternoon and relax a little. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

• clarinetist

Sorry to hear you are dealing with similar issues in hospice, M1. At this point, you should be able to do whatever you think is easiest for you and your partner. I hope you have a resolution soon.

• clarinetist

Thanks for the hospice suggestion, Crkddy. I hadn’t thought of that, and will give it serious consideration.

• FTDCaregiver1
    FTDCaregiver1 Member Posts: 103
    25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

Hi clarentist - sorry you're going through the merry-go-round, gone through 4 of these myself with DW in dealing with her agitation over the years. Talk about discontinuity of care. Referral into the ER, waiting for a bed, starting all over again with each new health care team, trying new medications. I've learned over the years to keep a small spreadsheet charting these stays, medications/doses and reactions as these MH providers (in my experience) do not share information with each other. During her last stay, I scheduled visits every other day during the week so I could assess how she was reacting and worked with the on-site social worker to call in once a week to speak with her team on their weekly team meetings to discuss her case as I wanted to hear from all of them collectively as to what they were seeing and what course of action they wanted to take. Couple of times had to halt use of both pregabalin and Ativan due to adverse reactions, pregabalin during her last stay as the team totally missed her parkinsonism reaction that rapidly took hold of her and told her psych to cease its use during the weekly team call. Horrible experience how they could've missed the rapid stooping of her neck, shuffling unsteady gait, drooling, and slight tremor of hands, all appearing within 4 days of starting that drug. Fortunately, a year later she's almost recovered totally form all this but was a nightmare. My heart goes out to you, hang in there, educate yourself on these drugs and don't be afraid to make decisions when you see something isn't right, no one knows your LO like you do. Wishing you the best.

• clarinetist

thank you FTDCaregiver 1. That’s a great idea about the spreadsheet. Already I’m starting to forget what meds and dosages have been tried. Will set one up tonight!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more